You Wake Up in a Room. Or, more specifically, a creepy shrine. You have no memories of anything but your name. You attempt to leave the shrine when you're attacked by a Living Shadow. You fight it off and get out, and you meet someone who explains things to you.
From there, things get a little more complex. Y'see, you're on an Island of Mystery. And everyone here woke up in the temple, just like you, with no previous memories. And those shadow things are apparently new. So you, along with a few friends, set out to solve the mysteries of the 'Shadowies'- and maybe a few about your pasts...
Shangri-La contains examples of:
- Cool Shades: Reuben's shades are so cool that only he can equip them. They also protect against the Blindness status condition.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Malcolm. He talks a good game, but is respectful towards the females in the party.
- Iconic Item: Reuben's Cool Shades, which can only be equipped by him.
- Island of Mystery: Shangri-La is largely unexplored, populated entirely by amnesiacs or children born there, and any ships sailing away from the island simply fall apart once they get a certain distance away.
- Living Shadow: The 'Shadowies' (official in-universe name) come in several different varieties.
- Player Party: Although you can only have four at a time, there are six playable characters.
- Turn-Based Combat: A la Final Fantasy, right down to the "Fight/Magic/Defend/Item/Run" options.
- Word of Gay: According to the creator, Abel is Asexual, Ellette is a lesbian, and Ursula and Reuben are bisexual.
- You Wake Up in a Room: How everyone comes to the island.