The game begins with karate dude Steven/Takeshi and his girlfriend Remy/Mari on a date when Mohikan the Punk punches Steven in the face and runs off with Remy. Steven goes through an army of punks and an obstacle course with only 3 lives and 1 HP, duels Mohikan and forgives him... Only for a TIME TRAVELLING SAMURAI to come and take Remy away!
The Master System version lacks this time travel twist. Instead, Steven keeps forgiving Mohikan who always responds by punching his face and taking Remy away. The game has 3 levels, after which it loops until you lose.
Tropes this game punched in the face as they were passing by:
- Continuing Is Painful: No continue feature here.
- Covers Always Lie: In countries such as Brazil, the game was sold as Gang's Fighter and customers were confused by the title screen displaying My Hero instead. And Steven fights against the gang, not for them.
- Damsel in Distress: Remy spends the entire game getting dragged around while Steven gives chase.
- Easily Forgiven: Every stage ends with Steven trying to make peace with the current villain, only for another one to take Remy away while he's distracted. This is even more stupid in the Master System port, as Mohikan is the only antagonist present.
- Endless Game: It just keeps going and going until you mess up and run out of extra lives.
- Good Is Dumb: Steven keeps forgiving the folks who mess with him, hoping to reform them.
- Here We Go Again!: After the Space Monkey is defeated, Mohikan reappears and restarts the cycle.
- Infinite 1-Ups: Near the end of the first level, there are three dogs. Hit the last one in the back and you'll get a life. You can do this as much as needed because they respawn.
- Mirror Boss: The bosses have the same attacks as Steven.
- Ninja: The enemies in level 2.
- Nintendo Hard: Enemies spawn constantly and you must also deal with difficult platforming sections. Any mistake will get Steven smashed to the ground with that dumb face.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Steven during the levels, but not during the boss fights.
- Time Travel: They just had to spice the Save the Princess plot with the most ridiculous thing they could think of...