As of October 22, 2014, the game was given the Void Update, adding two new levels (one of which is the game's Bonus Boss) and a new CD. A temporary update also gave access to Christmas mode which ended on January 1, 2015.
Savant Ascent contains examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The plot is really only covered in the game's store page. In-game you just get a short video of the Alchemist getting blasted out of his tower.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: The Alchemist is reportedly at least a bit mechanical if the store page is anything to go by, but there is no explanation for him breathing in space other than Rule of Cool.
- Earn Your Bad Ending: The new ending introduced in the void update has the Samurai slam the Alchemist back into his tower, all the way from space, presumably killing him.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: Overdrive. It's only obtained once you get six CDs and then grab the Philosopher's Stone at the top of the tower. You're gonna need it if you want to beat the Void levels.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: If the intro is correct, your most common enemies are animated teapots and irons.
- Gainax Ending: The Vario ending is... Odd. It only fits given that he seems to be glitching out all the time.
- Guide Dang It!: At no point ever does the game even hint that using your chain to grab the orb (the Philosopher's Stone) will do something good. At least until the void update where the 7th CD says it requires the orb. But good luck getting it without Overdrive.
- Nice Hat: The Alchemist sports a fancy hat with a feather in it.
- Ninja Pirate Robot Zombie: The Samurai is a Space Robot Samurai.
- Previous Cover Art Character Cameo: The game's original Final Boss is Vario, a character made for one of Savant's album covers.
- Secret Character: Defeating Vario allows you to use his mask and changes the game significantly.
- True Final Boss: The Samurai. While you don't HAVE to do anything to get to him other than beat the previous level, it might as well be required that you gain access to Overdrive just to fight, let alone beat him.