Need to recapture the feeling of being a kid pretending you're in a Saturday Morning Cartoon for a few minutes? Tired of games with ambiguous titles? Just played Today I Die and need to restore your emotional equilibrium?
Robot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar is an Adobe Flash game about cybernetic prehistoric reptiles which fire lasers whenever they growl. A scrolling shooter with a hilariously ridiculous premise, it was originally released in 2009 on Kongregate.
- Alien Invasion: The two good cyborg dinosaur aliens must save Earth from evil aliens.
- Aliens Speaking English: Both Dinomite and Tyrannosaurus X speak English.
- Asteroids Monster: One of the planes splits into two when hit.
- Boring, but Practical: The power of your beams quickly diminishes with sustained use, but recharges quickly, so firing in tiny bursts as fast as you can press and release the mouse button is a useful strategy, but it means cutting your MIGHTY ROOOAAAAAR short.
- Charged Attack: Inverted, holding down the button weakens your attacks.
- Destructive Saviour: The dinosaurs eat people and blow up helicopters, but thanks to them the Earth is safe for another ten jillion years, so it's all cool!
- Energy Ball: What Wall Turrets fire.
- Energy Weapon: Robot dinosaurs and the boss fire these.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: The boss likes to spin for some reason.
- Flash of Pain: Stronger enemies and the boss blink in a different color when hit.
- Funbag Airbag: The intro sequence.
- Funny Background Event: That poor boy...
- Homage: The gameplay, enemy design, and boss are strongly enough reminiscent of Stargunner that it's unlikely to be coincidence.
- Jetpack: Dinosaurs have these on their backs.
- Large Ham: Nick Sumbles obviously had an incredibly fun time doing those roars. (Wait till after the credits, it just gets hammier and hammier.)
- Let's Play: With Raocow.
- Marshmallow Hell: The teenager in the opening sequence does a truly impressive faceplant into his girlfriend's boobs when the meteor carrying the titular robot dinosaurs who etc. etc. lands.
- Mook Maker: Those dark vortexes.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Cybernetic alien dinosaurs.
- Rule of Cool: The game's dino-d'être
- Sentry Gun: Ball with a stick-variety on surfaces.
- So Once Again, the Day Is Saved: "...for another ten jillion years!"
- Terror at Make-Out Point: Parodied mercilessly. Something about the protagonists causing the Death by Sex usually included with the trope helps make sure that this Crosses the Line Twice.
- Tyrannosaurus rex: The game features a player character named Tyrannosaurus X.
- Wave-Motion Gun: The power-up gives you a bigger one.