Road of Fury is a post-apocalyptic driving game where the player takes control of a small convoy of vehicles and tries to reach the end of a long road filled with armored cars, guys with jetpacks and RPGs, giant trucks, ballistic missiles, suicidal helicopters and hundreds of angry bandits. Players earn money by destroying enemies and traveling further into the level without their convoy getting blown up, which can then be spent on upgrades and new cars to make their crew stronger. A sequel game called Road Of Fury 2: Nuclear Blizzard was also released along with a third game called Road Of Fury 3: Desert Strike.
Road of Fury contains the following tropes:
- Action Girl: Jessica from the second game.
- After the End: The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with bandits and wastelanders driving high powered cars mounted with any kinds of crazy lethal weaponry.
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels: Guys on bikes armed with an SMG are one of the most common enemy types.
- Attack Drone: One of the higher tier vehicle gadgets is a UAV drone station that can deploy attack drones to make shooting down airborne foes easier.
- The third game introduces weak enemy hover drones that fire missiles at the player.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The only way to destroy the boss enemies is by shooting the weapon turrets lining their sides.
- Badass Driver: Goes without saying.
- Boss Battle: Each game has a large boss vehicle the player must destroy to win along with a few mini bosses such as powerful attack helicopters.
- Bullet Time: One of the car upgrades is a device that can temporarily slow down time and allow the player to spam a large amount of projectiles against their enemies.
- Checkpoint Starvation: Losing all your vehicles in the first game takes you all the way back to the start of the road. (Though the player gets to keep any money they earned.) The second game fixes this by making checkpoints save your progress.
- Cool Plane: The final boss of the second game is a large plane equipped with turrets, bombs and deployable vehicles.
- Cool Train: The final boss of the first game is a large armored train mounted with gun turrets.
- Excuse Plot: You have an entire garage full of powerful weaponized cars. Here's a road filled with an army of bandits for you to use them on. Have fun.
- Macross Missile Massacre: The player can be on both the giving and receiving end of this trope.
- Regenerating Health: Vehicles in the player's convoy very slowly regenerate health over time.
- Tank Goodness: The final boss of the third game is a massive tank equipped with drones and mounted cannons.
- Weaponized Car: Miniguns, missiles, railguns, lasers, UAV drones, grenade launchers... each car has its own unique weapons and upgrades that make it specially deadly. Enemy cars break out some pretty heavy firepower as well, especially once the player gets close to the goal.