When the sun sets, the mysterious realm of the yokai appears. A young girl, Tamako, accidentally wanders into this world and must make her way to the mysterious mountain peak that wasn't there before to return.
The main feature of the game is its focus on "anti-coin collecting." Depending on how many coins you have, numbered blocks and other parts of the environment change, either breaking when Tamako touches them, becoming solid, or something else. Complicating things are all the yokai creatures that you need to either avoid or manipulate in order to reach each stage's goal.
- Always Night: Variation. The realm of the yokai always has a twilit sky.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Reaching the end of the Kin-Neko-Ji Temple changes Tamako into a Miko outfit.
- Collection Sidequest: Each normal stage features three Maneki Neko statues and one cassette tape. The former unlock secret levels (though you only need 50 out of 60 total), while the latter unlock the soundtrack at Club Futakushi.
- Yokai Remains, obtained when defeating a boss.
- Dem Bones: Odokuro.
- Fetch Quest: Getting the Maneki Nejo and tape in Hyakki Yagyo Square requires finding special items throughout the game and returning them to the NPCs living there.
- Giant Foot of Stomping: Ashiarai Yashiki.
- Miko: Bakeneko-chan, who oversees the Kin-Neko-Ji Temple.
- Secret Level: The ten stages of Kin-Neko-Ji Temple, unlocked by collecting Maneki Neko statues.
- Yokai: The inhabitants of the world Tamako is stuck in.
- Gashadokuro: The final boss.
- Kappa: They're capable of pushing anything pushable they come across.
- Karakasa: He'll follow you around Kasa Kasa Grove, protecting you from raining coins.
- Nurikame: They take the form of numbered Nurikame blocks. If you have the number of coins printed on them, they start to worry... because another yokai touching them will cause them to disappear. Tamako can touch them with no effect regardless of how many coins she has.
- Oni: Find them and hop on their foot to reveal secret exits.
- Rokurokubi: Yuu, the farmer living in Hyakki Yagyo Square. He asks Tamako to retrieve his farming equipment.
- Tanuki: They'll shy away if you're broke, but if you have at least one coin, they'll take chase and try to steal it from you.
- Wanyuudou: The boss at Kubinashi Station.