Redshirt is a PC simulation strategy game developed by one-person developer Mitu Khandaker, aka The Tiniest Shark, and published in 2013 by one-person developer/publisher Positech Games (Of Gratuitous Space Battles and Gratuitous Tank Battles fame). The player takes on the role of the lowest possible ranking officer on board the space station Megalodon-9, and has to utilise a Facebook-esque social network to impress the right people, work your way up through the ranks, and become important enough to get planetary leave to get away from the ever-present risks that any Red Shirt would face. Naturally, a whole lot of sci-fi humour comes along.
Redshirt contains examples of:
- Anyone Can Die: Particularly on away missions, hence why your character is determined to get off of the station in the most legit way possible.
- Character Blog: Everyone, including the player.
- Fun with Acronyms: Self-Help Object Purveyor
- Gay Option: Your character can be interested in a relationship with either gender.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: The leading AI always refers to the player with [name here], obviously seeing all employees as expendable property. Such is the nature of a Red Shirt.
- Recycled In Space: Positech's previous game Kudos...ON A SPACE STATION!
- Red Shirt: What, you were expecting to come to this station as the highest-ranking officer possible?
- Serious Business: "You should accept [your friend request], or else your friendship won't be official."
- Shout-Out: Star Trek is the obvious example, although the idea of playing out the story from the absolute lowest rank possible is certainly reminiscent of Red Dwarf.