The game takes place in a fantasy world that feels vaguely Norse or Celtic. You are a viking warrior, and your family and hometown were massacred by hellish creatures. Now you set out to find revenge.
REKKR contains examples of:
- An Axe to Grind: You can find a two-handed axe. It's a good way to kill weaker enemies without using ammo.
- Bilingual Bonus: REKKR is Old Norse for "warrior".
- Bloodstained Glass Windows: E1M3 takes place in chapel, and this place is full of enemies.
- Censored Child Death: The protagonist's newborn baby was killed alongside their mother, but you can only see a destroyed crib in your home.
- Chest Monster: There are mimics that disguise themselves to health bottles.
- Doomed Hometown: Hellish creatures destroyed the protagonist's hometown and slaughtered its residents, and many of them were transformed to zombie-like monsters.
- The Goomba: Former Humans are zombified and mostly naked residents, and they are the weakest enemy in this game. They have low health and their only attack is hitting you with their hands.
- Grenade Launcher: The staff of explosion rune shoots explosive runes.
- Humanoid Abomination: Before the protagonist returns into his home, residents in your hometown were turned into horrific monsters.
- Horny Vikings: The protagonist looks like a typical viking. He wears a horned helmet, too.
- Late to the Tragedy: Everyone in the home island of the protagonist was killed before the game starts. He travels to another island to seek help after the end of Episode 1, but he eventually find that the same thing happened in the said island.
- Mook Medic: Flying eye monsters can resurrect dead monsters by touching their corpse.
- Short-Range Shotgun: The Steelshot Launcher deals good damage, but it's inaccurate.
- Videogame Cruelty Potential: You can slaughter rabbit-like animals to replenish some health.
- When Trees Attack: Treebeasts are living tree stumps, and they shoot projectiles at you. They often disguise themselves as a normal-looking tree.
- Your Soul Is Mine: You can harvest human souls from killed humanoid enemies. You can use it as ammo of your bow and soul launcher.