R2Beat was an multiplayer online PC rhythm game developed by Seed9 and published by Neowiz (yes, that one who publishes DJ Max) from South Korea. It was first released as an open beta on September 1, 2005 in Korea, then later an official public server opened in 2006; it became a Defunct Online Video Game on January 10, 2014 in Korea; 2009 in Japan, and December 31, 2019 in China.
The gameplay was to rollerblade perfectly by dodging the obstacles rhythmically and in perfect timing using keys on the keyboard. When you dodged them perfectly, it also accumulated points gauge which can be used for temporary dash to overtake the opponent players.
There were several modes: normal multiplayer battle mode, solo item battle mode, team item battle mode, Chase Together mode (a Co-Op raid battle against the boss), Rescue Lindsey mode, etc.
Tropes in this game:
- Awesome, but Temporary: All one-time-use items exclusively appeared in any modes that have them. from Power Nullifier, Anti-Debuff, and any items that damages and gives certain status ailments.
- Breakable Power-Up: Enhancing items like Anti-Debuff, and a mirror that reflects opponent's debuff attack are temporary, but can be obtained in route randomly like Mario Kart.
- Dub Name Change: Naree, one of NPCs was changed into Myu in Japanese version / server.
- Elite Zombie: Dr. Z, a zombie scientist, serves as the boss in "Lindsey Rescue Mode" who captured Lindsey, one of NPCs in the game.
- Escaped Animal Rampage: In Co-Op Raid Battle Mode. The players mission is to catch Gyro, an Appropriate Animal Attire gorilla back into the cage.
- Older than They Look: Naree, the schoolgirl NPC, is confirmed 18 years old, despite her appearance looks like a young middleschool student. Bonus points for the way that her Korean voice qualifies her even more to be in this trope.
- Puni Plush: 3D Player characters and NPCs (however few NPCs are averted in 2D) have this cute style.
- Videogame Dashing: The only important and temporary active skill in this game, not just the character speed is increasing, but the tempo and pitch of the song they played also increases.
- Virtual Paper Doll: Players can customize their own characters appearance. Some clothes, hairstyles and ornaments are available in in-game store, while few items can only be obtained in accomplishing challenges. Expect some players dressing up as NPCs and others in random clothes.