Putty Squad is a video game by Ocean Software and System 3. The game was set to release for the Amiga in 1994, and after getting tons of hype and rave reviews from critics... the game didn't show up. As it turned out, the only version released would be for the Super Nintendo, and even then only in PAL regions. Amiga gamers wouldn't get to experience the game... until 2013, that is.
As a Christmas present to their fans, System 3 released a ROM of the original Amiga game on their website, after an almost 20-year-long wait. They also announced the game would be getting a remake on almost every next-gen console. However, the remake was criticized for being noticeably outdated in terms of gameplay.
This time it's war, and Putty is put in the case of rescuing MIA putties from many different locations with his frenemy Dweezil the Cat. He will also have to put a stop to Napalm the cat, as he has started an army of frogs to take down Putty.
Tropes this game includes:
- And Your Reward Is Edible
- Animals Hate Him: Your main enemies are cats and dogs.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The SNES version has Putty hit the screen as he jumps off the fighter jet that takes him to new worlds.
- Call-Back: The space shuttle you can use has "ZID" written on it. Zid is the planet the robots from Putty came from.
- Cats Are Mean: Inverted with Dweezil, played straight with Napalm.
- Characterization Marches On: See HeelFace Turn below.
- Drunk on Milk: The sauce in the remake.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The inclusion of smoking and references to alcohol bumped the remake up to an E10+ rating.
- Goomba Stomp: Putty can jump on dog enemies, shoving them inside their helmets.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All
- HeelFace Turn: Dweezil was the main antagonist in the first game. He's now a good guy assisting Putty on his quest.
- Heroic Mime: Putty.
- One-Hit Point Wonder: If Putty touches frog tongues.
- Smoking Is Cool: Some stickers from the remake play this straight.
- Toilet Humor: The remake has many stickers from the first world involve toilets in one way or another.