Putty is a series of video games developed by UK company System 3. They focus on the titular character Putty and his adventures.
An evil wizard named Dazzledale and his pet cat Dweezil have stolen all of the Putty people and plans to turn them into bubblegum. Putty has been banished to the planet Zid, where he befriends a colony of robots who plan to build a skyscraper high enough to get Putty back home. However, Dazzledale's minions have also taken over this planet and freeze the robots in an attempt to foil their plan. Now, Putty must defeat Dazzledale and save all the robots so work on the skyscraper can continue.
Originally released on the Amiga and later ported to the SNES as Super Putty. A sequel called Putty Squad was released for the SNES in 1994; the Amiga version was finished the same year but not released until 2013.
This series contains examples of;
- Affectionate Parody: The Blobs.
- And Your Reward Is Edible
- Animate Inanimate Object: Many of the enemies.
- Anthropomorphic Food: The Terminator carrot, the Scouse sausage, and the propeller orange.
- Back from the Dead: Enemies regenerate after you kill them.
- Big Bad: Dazzledale.
- Big Brother Is Watching: Pictures of Dweezil are scattered across the levels.
- Bottomless Pit: Present in most levels.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Whenever you eat a baby just as it explodes, Dweezil wil rip through the screen and taunt you.
- Cats Are Mean: Dweezil is this, played straight.
- Character Title
- Drunk on Milk: The bots are taken to a literal milk bar.
- Eats Babies: Enemies turn into babies when you hit them. You must eat them whole, or else they'll explode.
- Fat Bastard: The ninja enemies.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: One of the bots' prime directives is "Avoid programming as a career."
- Gotta Catch 'Em All
- Gratuitous Disco Sequence: Uncle Ted is a living version of this trope. Whenever he appears, he plays on his keyboard, causing the enemies to start dancing.
- The Gunslinger: The aforementioned Terminator carrot.
- Heroic Mime: Putty.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: "TOO BAD!"
- Living Toys: The Toytown level.
- Made of Explodium: Putty has the ability to inflate himself. Do it too much and he'll explode, killing all on-screen enemies.
- Sequel Hook: Even though said sequel wouldn't come out until over 20 years after release.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The second Toytown level and the third Twilight Zone level.
- Tutorial Level: The Gym.