Pokémon Ethereal Gates is an RPG Maker game by Perihelion Productions. This game exclusively features original fan-made Pokémon and characters.
The game's demo released in August 2015 and is downloadable here.
This game contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: A little girl goes missing just before you arrive at Auklet Town.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Baytwee and its evolution Tuxalon are some well-dressed birds.
- Childhood Friends: The protagonist (Cooper or Sophie) alongside April and August, forming a Power Trio.
- Dumb Jock: August doesn't have the best grades in school, but has a good head on his shoulders nonetheless.
- #EngineeredHashtag: #SaveThePolbee!
- The Fair Folk: Jinkai is a Ghost/Fairy-type who abducts a girl from her home.
- Flower Motifs: Apalis Town is filled with sunflowers. The same sunflowers adorn the game's title screen.
- Game-Breaking Bug: The demo's original release had a bugged item in the Auklet Lighthouse that would cause the game to freeze and crash if interacted with. Ironically, said item was a Paralyze Heal.
- Genki Girl: April is very excitable, especially when it comes to Pokémon research or Professor Hawthorne.
- Good-Guy Bar: Longspur City's bar is where you first find Regina after discovering she's not at her Gym. You can buy a drink from the bartender...but he'll only sell you soft drinks, since you're a kid.
- Hell Is That Noise: Auklet Library's theme is filled with creaking wooden floors and distorted whispers.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Regina and Beckett each own a Pokémon that doesn't match their Gym type—the Dark-type Opaby for Regina's Normal-type Gym, and the Rock/Grass-type Mosachuset for Beckett's Bug-type Gym.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The game's final release promises over 200 original Pokémon.
- Long Song, Short Scene: A rather lovely, relaxing theme plays in the gates between towns and routes...which you probably run straight through.
- Ominous Fog: Auklet Town is filled with fog and, sure enough, something less than pleasant occurs during your visit.
- Permanently Missable Content: You'd better hope you don't accidentally beat that Jinkai...
- Retraux: The official soundtrack has 8-bit versions of "Apalis Town" and "Battle! Gym Leader".
- Schrödinger's Player Character: In true Pokémon fashion, whichever gender protagonist you don't pick doesn't appear in the game.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The shortage of Polbee hives and honey is definitely not caused by Hunber, thank you very much. Grizlomb, on the other hand...