Planet Zoo is an upcoming zoo simulation game by Frontier Developments. The title was initially announced in April 2019 and is slated for release on PC in November 2019.
Planet Zoo provides examples of the following:
- Animals Lack Attributes: All of the animal models shown thus far conspicuously lack external genitalia, likely owing to the game's family friendly nature. Despite this, in a trailer, a hippo can be seen visibly defecating and helicoptering it's tail around to splatter it everywhere, as they are known to do in real-life for territorial reasons.
- Artificial Brilliance: One of the game's main selling points is that the game's animals will have life-like behaviors and individual personalities.
- Bears Are Bad News: Grizzly bears have already been confirmed for the game.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Chimpanzees and ring-tailed lemurs have been confirmed for the game's roster of animals.
- Lighter and Softer: Animals will not be able to attack guests, unlike the Zoo Tycoon series. Guests will still react to animals being outside of their exhibit.
- Loads and Loads of Animals: It has been reported that the game will feature over 50 animals at launch and several key Frontier staff members have made a point of acknowledging Frontier's habit of supporting games with new content well after launch (such as with Planet Coaster).
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: Saltwater crocodiles are confirmed for the animals roster.
- Non-Standard Character Design: The more cartoon-ish guests (which have been largely carried over from Planet Coaster) clash fairly harshly with the more photorealistic animals shown in the trailer.
- Panthera Awesome: Lions and cheetahs have been confirmed so far.
- Shown Their Work: In an interview with Ollie Powell (Animation programmer), he shows knowledge about elephant anatomy. He mentions that an elephant technically walks on the tips of its toes, which internally actually start around "where you think their ankle is," and behind the toes is a large fleshy, boneless "pad" to help support the animal's massive weight. This was all researched and kept into consideration when animating this animal.
- Small Taxonomy Pools: Strangely zig-zagged. While the game does (so far) mainly show common animals like elephants, lions, and bears, it goes in-depth enough with some animals so as to specify the animal's subspecies (like the West African Lion). However, with others, it's a bit vague. The game's featured elephant (the African bush elephant) is simply referred to as the African elephant, ignoring that there are multiple species of African elephant.
- Spiders Are Scary: The Brazilian wandering spider, one of the world's most venomous spiders, has been confirmed for the game. It's actually going to be possible for it to escape.
- Spiritual Successor: To the Zoo Tycoon series.
- Turtle Power: Galapagos giant tortoises are confirmed for the animals roster.