When malevolent spirits terrorize the humble village of Chestertown, a boy named Gershom finds himself investigating the incident alongside a masked young man, who insists on being referred to as a wizard. Together, the unlikely duo journey deep into the mysterious history of Chestertown, and end up part of something bigger than they could have ever imagined...
The game features a top-down view mode with the expected exploration and enigmas and a side-scroller platformer battle mode where the player is given 5 seconds to beat up the enemy with combos before avoiding its attacks on the next turn.
A demo featuring chapter 1 of the game can be found at itch.io.
This game features the following tropes:
- Action Commands: By using MP, you can skip the action sequences in favor of a single powerful strike charged by quick time events.
- An Axe to Grind: Sure is one brutish weapon for a naive, kind-hearted kid hero like Gershom to be swinging around.
- Charged Attack: Holding the evasion button also charges the special gauge for the Limit Break.
- Combos: Better juggle enemies as much as possible. Combos and their damage are measured and ranked at the corner of the screen.
- Cowardly Lion: Gershom and the Wizard soon realize they're way over their heads and are both terribly scared, but Gershom is determined to protect his village and the Wizard, despite being in it for the glory and mooching off Gershom's skills, won't leave the kid to face danger alone either.
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: There are two offensive stats, and the two playable characters use opposite ones for action-mode attacks and quick time event skills. Sometimes you might have to play as Gershom in action mode and leave the Wizard for the QTEs.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Gershom is disturbed from having to kill Mariah in a fight while hardly knowing what was going on, but he does it in the Wizard's defense and reassures himself that she was pure evil and a terrible threat to Chestertown.
- Knight of Cerebus: Mariah, the boss of the demo, is a ruthless witch who nearly kills Wizard just because she didn't appreciate someone not obeying her.
- Limit Break: A special gauge fills up as the player hits enemies or holds the evasion button. Gershom starts with a multi-hit Spin Attack and the Wizard starts with a powerful single-hit tackle.
- Mercy Mode: An assist mode can be toggled at will to make enemies and action commands easier, with no penalties.
- Pre Existing Encounters: Enemies can be seen wandering around each room, and encounters trigger when touching them. There are no effects for engaging them from behind or vice-versa.
- Stationary Boss: Played with. All mooks are sitting ducks during the player's turn on battle mode, but the bosses do make an effort to move away from them.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Important boss battles are pure action sequences without the menu, so then the player is unable to perform quick time event skills or heal.