On Air!!! is a free-to-play mobile game developed by coly (the same creators as Stand My Heroes and Promise Of Wizard), released on August 16, 2018 for Android and iOS platforms. The game revolves around a cast of high-school students who aim to be top Voice Actors in the Japanese voice acting industry.
You play as an Honor Student (officially named Hikari Amane, but you have the option of changing her name) who managed to be admitted into the prestigious Hosekigaoka High School as the school's first female student in 20 years. However, on the first day of school, a sudden announcement concerning the closure of the school was made. Tasked by famous voice actor and teacher Sae Areki, your job is to find and recruit the school's official units and organize a legendary event known as the 'Grand Euphoria' starring those units... if you can get them to co-operate, that is.
Unfortunately on July 31, 2020, to the sobs of its small but dedicated fanbase, coly announced that the game will close services on October 30, 2020, right before the announcement of the 2nd Anniversary event. After the game closes online services, players can still access the game to read stories until August 2021, although the schedule may change.
This game contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion: During Re:Fly's 1st unit event which takes place at a beach house, Mikado and Cosmo start making a rap out of the beach house's menu to attract guests. Mikado's voice actor, Haruki Ishiya, is best known as Jiro Yamada in Hypnosis Mic.
- April Fools' Day:
- In-game in 2019, the boys swap twiine accounts with each other and attempt to post twiines in character as the account's original owner. The real April Fools' Day prank was a Delinquent event taking place in an Alternate Universe where gangs are formed instead of units and problems are solved by fighting with each other.
- The 2020 April Fools Day twiine prank may be the same as 2019, but this time the event takes place in another Alternate Universe where the cast are hosts with superpowers working at a host club.
- Alternate Universe: The premise of the April Fools' Day events.
- Bland-Name Product: twiine, which is their version of Twitter. The game itself has a twiine feature where players get to have a look at the characters' social media accounts and starting from the 2019 Halloween event, features posts related to the current event at the time.
- Amusingly, part of the April Fools' Day pranks in On Air!!! was the characters (with the exception of Sae) swapping twiine accounts for the day, with the reveal of who's using whose account being revealed the next day.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: While the game is known for being generous with free Crystal Stars (the game's premium currency), players have the option of buying more with real money.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: It's no doubt that all of the male characters in the game are good-looking.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Each unit is represented with a certain colour.
- Hot-Blood is red.
- Re:Fly is blue.
- Eme☆Kare is green.
- MAISY is orange.
- Prid's is yellow.
- drop is turquoise.
- Sae, and by extension the school faculty, is represented with black.
- A Day in the Limelight: Each unit has a unit story depicting the formation of each unit before Hikari was admitted into the school.
- Events have a focus on a certain character depending on the scenario. More often than not, said character would usually be the gacha SSR.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: The game's opening theme Now On Air!!! is sung by the voice actors for the units' leaders under 1 unit called 6Carats.
- Dragged into Drag: Once a year, an event will depict some of the guys (aside from Tomoe who's already a Wholesome Crossdresser) dressed in female clothing for some reason:
- Sparkling! Our School Festival has a crossdressing contest held during Hosekigaoka High School Festival - Aoi, Momose and Hotaru were depicted in girls' clothing in the event cards.
- Climax! The Athletic Meet of Sweat and Tears - while the main characters (Rei and Sora) were spared this fate, the crossdressers were the L class cheerleading team (Mikado and Tsubaki in cards) courtesy of Mikado.
- Evolving Credits: After the Big Update of March 2020, the opening sequence has been updated to include Live 2D models, drop's unit costumes and default SR/SSR card art as well as card art from past events.
- Excited Show Title!: Three exclamation points after the 2nd word.
- Excited Title! Two-Part Episode Name!: The naming format for events.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: While the player character has an official name of Hikari Amane, you can choose to change her name when you start up the game.
- Mini-Game: During events, after the talk show segment which uses up AP, players will sometimes be prompted to play the 'uchiage' mini-game where the characters involved in the talk show get to an eatery of the host's choice... by launching them from a trampoline a la Angry Birds. Extra points are given depending on where the characters land and how many characters get there.
- The word 'uchiage' itself is a Pun, referring to both the after-party of entertainment events and launching (something) upwards. In other words, you get the characters to the after-party by launching them into the sky.
- Series Mascot: Hamuchu, a cute hamster character whom Ranma is a fan of. Hamuchu appears mostly on LINE where it's seen in monthly calendar wallpapers.
- Arata can also be seen as this for the game as he's the face of the app.
- Two-Teacher School: The Principal aside, the sole representative of the school faculty is Sae Areki, being the go-to teacher for most of the cast. However, other teachers are mentioned (though not by name) in other places such as drop's unit story and in certain twiine posts by Sae.