Omen of Sorrow is a 2.5D horror-themed indie Fighting Game created by Chilean studio AOne Games and published by Soedesco exclusively for the PlayStation 4. It features an cast of characters inspired by several Gothic and horror works such as Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, the Mummy and The Hunchback of Notre Dame with 12 initially available characters at launch. The gameplay is inspired by modern Mortal Kombat games, but features unique mechanics such as "Fortune" gauge (a meter that swings up and down depending on player action in combat: aggressive actions and moving forward make it go up, while being overly defensive or being hit too much makes it go down) and once its fully charged, the user can enable "Blessed" mode, in which the character gains the ability to cancel normal and special attacks in a very free-form way, allowing for custom combos that normally would not be available.
The game was released in November 6, 2018 and it's available in local and online multiplayer
This game features the following tropes:
- Big Bad: Thalessa, the Invisible Queen. She wants to recreate the world in her own image by unleashing monsters and chaos to achieve her end goals.
- Bloody Murder: Erzsébet has the power to manipulate blood.
- Captain Ersatz: The whole game could be considered one to Darkstalkers:
- Gabriel is a Hunter of Monsters like Donovan, and also risks becoming a monster himself. His name also brings to mind Gabriel Belmont.
- Vladislav III and Radegonda are essentially Dimitri Maximoff and Morrigan Aensland with more tragic backstories.
- Imhotep is an mummy like Anakaris and also revered like a God-Emperor.
- Caleb is an werewolf like Jon Talbain.
- Adam is a Frakenstein-like golem like Victor.
- Thalessa could be argued to be an gender flipped Jedah Dohma due to sharing a similar role, though if you replace his blood powers with control over shadow. Erzsérbet's powers are closer to him.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Adam and Thalessa are both barefoot.
- Expy: Zadkiel resembles Sonya Blade and Nina Williams due to being a gorgeous blonde-haired Action Girl that uses a lot of kicks and backflicks.
- Genius Bruiser: Dr. Hyde is an Mad Scientist built like a brute and capable of fighting hand-to-hand with other monsters.
- Fallen Angel: Zafkiel is an fallen celestial that has dedicated herself to hunt monsters, but ended up being severed from her fellow angels after 250 years.
- Handicapped Badass: Quasimodo is an hunchback just like in the book, but that doesn't stop him from fighting. In addition, he lost his entire left arm, but had it replaced with an cybernetic implant.
- Headless Horseman: Arctorious is an spectral knight that dons an black armor, but in place of a head, he has blue blame coming out of his neck.
- Hunter of Monsters: Gabriel's job, having being recruited by Zafkiel after his mother was killed in front of him by monsters.
- Monster Mash: The roster is composed mostly of the typical horror monsters like vampires, werewolves, mummies, demons and others.
- Ms. Fanservice: All female characters, really. Zafkiel wears Chainmail Bikini that leaves her stomach exposed, Radegonda has an Boobs-and-Butt Pose in her official poster◊, Erzsébet the Bloody Countess wears an dress with her cleavage open that leads to Gainaxing a bit. Even Thalessa gets on it, with her outfit displaying her ample bust.
- That Man Is Dead:
- Jekyll tried to kill himself with poison, but Mr. Hyde managed to take control of his body while his original personality died and only Hyde remained.
- Radegonda used to be an innocent, sweet girl called Adelheidi before using dark magic to transform herself into an succubus to get revenge for her family's murder.
- Slouch of Villainy: Thalessa can use her shadow powers to create an makeshift throne for her slouch in.
- Vampire Refugee: Vlad III, ironically. He unwittingly became an vampire after searching for an way to achieve immortality, but now he seeks to become human again.