Okaeri is a Psychological Horror Game by Chilla's Art.
A week ago, a young Japanese girl and her mom moved into a new house. Now, the girl has just come home to find the house empty.
The game was released on Steam for PC on September 6th, 2019.
Okaeri contains examples of:
- Downer Ending: The player character takes her own life after finding her mother's body (she having also committed suicide). The only thing the player can do is walk through the woods towards a previously set-up noose.
- Driven to Suicide: After opening the case, the girl can find her mother in the laundry room hanging from a noose. The girl then hangs herself in the woods at the end of the game.
- Enter Solution Here: There's a case in the house that has a lock that requires a code to open. Inside is a debt slip.
- Infinite Flashlight: The flashlight the girl finds has no indicator onscreen that tells you how much battery life is left.
- One-Word Title: Okaeri, naturally. It's the shortened version of okaerinasai, roughly meaning "welcome home".
- P.O.V. Cam: The game is played from the perspective of a Japanese girl in middle school.
- Psychological Horror: Stated to be one on the Steam page. The game lacks chase sequences or the like, with the horror aspect instead being largely derived from the player character uncovering an Awful Truth.
- Struggling Single Mother: The protagonist's mother, who works hard to support herself and her daughter; the player character mentions she's been unwell lately. The player discovers the poor woman's financial situation has gotten so bad she committed suicide.
- Tears of Blood: The dead woman in the living room has blood coming out of her eyes.
- Time Skip: After the girl finds a paper in the bathroom, it cuts to black, and then to the girl in the forest with subtitles that read "4 hours later".