A week ago, a young Japanese girl and her mom moved into a new house. Now, the girl has just come home to find the house empty.
Okaeri contains examples of:
- Driven to Suicide: After opening the case, the girl can find her mother in the living room hanging from a noose.
- The girl then hangs herself in the woods at the end of the game.
- Enter Solution Here: There's a case in the house that has a lock that requires a code to open.
- Infinite Flashlight: The flashlight the girl finds has no indicator onscreen that tells you how much battery life is left.
- One-Word Title: Okaeri, naturally.
- P.O.V. Cam: The game is played from the perspective of a Japanese girl in middle school.
- Psychological Horror: Stated to be one on the Steam page.
- Tears of Blood: The dead woman in the living room has blood coming out of her eyes.
- Time Skip: After the girl finds a paper in the bathroom, it cuts to black, and then to the girl in the forest with subtitles that read "4 hours later".