New Super Marisa Land
Marisa should have brought a Fuzzy. Or the Reimu Suit
is a 2010 Platform Game
by Twilight Frontier
, creators of PatchCon! Defend the Library!
and Mega Mari
. It is the direct sequel to Super Marisa Land
, and like its predecessor, is a hybrid of Touhou
and Super Mario Bros.
. You play as Marisa, who has her mushroom collection stolen by the Three Mischievous Fairies. She must track them down all throughout Gensokyo, coming across various members of the Touhou
cast, and beating the tar out of them.
Not to be confused with Super Marisa World, a Super Mario World-styled Touhou fan-game by Double Cluster, or the Super Mario Bros. game that this game's English title comes from.
This game contains examples of:
- Action Bomb: Black Fuzzies, standing in for Bob-Ombs.
- Advancing Boss of Doom: The final boss, the Giant Mushroom. Of course, you will have the resources to fight back.
- Airborne Boss: Sanae.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Again, the final boss.
- Auto-Scrolling Level: Dotted here and there, with the first one being Forest of Magic Stage 5
- Big Boo's Haunt
- Boss Rush: Extra Stage 9 is this, minus the Fairies and the Giant Mushroom.
- Bottomless Pits: You saw this coming.
- Breast Expansion: Upon grabbing the invincibility mushroom, the normally flat/smalled-chested Marisa becomes a very busty lady. Once the effect wears off, you go back to being flat-chested again.
- The Cameo: Komachi makes an appearance, doing the same thing she did in a previous Twilight Frontier game.
- Collection Sidequest: The Red Stars. Collect them all for another stage in each world. Clear them for the eighth extra stage, and that one for the ninth with the True Final Boss, Reimu.
- Convection Schmonvection
- Dem Bones: Gray Fairies, standing in for Dry Bones.
- Easter Egg: If you have a mushroom in reserve when you face Alice, throw it out at her and watch what happens. It's a One-Hit Kill to her, referencing the fact in the prequel, all mushrooms are hazardous to her.
- Excuse Plot: Marisa's out on an adventure because her mushrooms got stolen. That's pretty much the gist of it.
- Fanservice: Your reward for beating Reimu? An ecchi picture of her by the character designer, Nota. Invincible Marisa easily counts thanks to her bountiful bosoms.
- Floating Platforms
- Flunky Boss: Patchouli fights you alongside her Patchouli-Bots. Her strategy even calls for using the robots as steppingstones to stomp her head.
- Tewi is also accompanied by a horde of her friends.
- Flying Seafood Special: Scuba Fairies, standing in for Cheep Cheeps. They are much more dangerous than their Super Mario Bros. counterparts.
- Gag Boobs: Super Marisa (a.k.a. Invincible Marisa).
- The Goomba: Fairies fill this role, while Fuzzies stand in for Koopa Troopas.
- Goomba Stomp: Again, you saw it coming.
- Green Hill Zone: The Forest of Magic.
- Guide Dang It!: Stage 5-4. It is a maze, and solving it is even more cryptic. Good luck finding the secret passageway required to clear it.
- Hard Levels, Easy Bosses: Of course.
- Heli-Critter: Reisen Suit Marisa is this.
- Infinite 1-Ups: The Super Marisa racing stage in World 4. Also in World 7, the stage where UFO shrooms appear permanently, as do easily killable fairies.
- Improbable Weapon User: In the fourth boss battle, you can use Youmu as a way to make the boss vulnerable.
- Improvised Platform: Tenshi Suit Marisa can create keystones as makeshift platforms. Even better, jumping from them will cause the stone to fall, taking out an unlucky enemy that happens to be standing below.
- Invincibility Power-Up: One of which will turn Marisa into a super-busty lady.
- Invincible Minor Minion: Green Fuzzies, standing in for Jelectros.
- Invisible Block
- Iris Out: In the shape of a mushroom, no less.
- Lethal Lava Land
- Macro Zone
- Mutually Exclusive Powerups: You can only have one form at a time, but the previous power up does get stored into your item box as a backup.
- Nintendo Hard: Not as much, but the game can be brutal when it wants to be.
- Not Completely Useless: Suwako Suit Marisa is more functional in water levels (and there aren't many of them). On land, all she can do is hop, so it can be rather difficult to aim your jumps. On the slight plus side your actual jumps will be higher than normal.
- The Yukkuri powerup despite its drawbacks, is invincible while rolling and rolling is sometimes the preferred way of getting around a level.
- Pipe Maze: The Bamboo Forest of the Lost, which use bigger stalks of bamboo as warp pipes.
- Point of No Return: After getting the last mushroom from Nue, you will be immediately sent into the final level with no other option. Best to stock up beforehand because you will not be able to revisit shops.
- Power-Up: The Reimu Suit, Reisen Suit, Suwako Suit, Tenshi Suit, Super Marisa Mushroom, Yukkuri Mushroom and UFO. The last two could qualify as Poison Mushrooms, outside specific situations...
- Replay Value: You can replay certain levels to find hidden exits.
- Rise to the Challenge
- Sequel Escalation: Compared to this game, Super Marisa Land is downright minimalist.
- Sequence Breaking: The secret exits in stages 1-4 and 3-5 allow you to skip to Worlds 3 and 7, respectively. Upon defeating the World 7 boss, you go right to the final area, without needing to collect the other mushrooms.
- Shopkeeper: Rinnosuke. You spend stars at his shops to buy various suits, to save your game and to get extra lives. You can also jump on his head and pound him into the ground, with no consequences.
- Shout-Out: Beyond the obvious references to Super Mario Bros., there are Patchouli's robots in the Scarlet Devil Mansion library.
- The Japanese portion of the game's name is Marisa and 6 Mushrooms.
- Suwako Marisa's standing animation is taken from Touhou 12.3, which had Suwako as a character in it. Tasafro developed both games.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World
- Super Not-Drowning Skills
- Timed Mission: The time limits can be very strict. Stage 4-4, for example, has a time limit of roughly a minute and 15 seconds.
- Turns Red: Patchouli does this when you hit her twice, and she is the only boss to do this.
- Under the Sea