In the game, you play an explorer of a diamond mine who is in search of the legendary Golden Crown. You must collect up to 1000 points in diamonds in order to make the Flame Spirit appear, which you can detect by the music that it makes (the closer you are to it, the louder the music is), and by using the flashlight. Once you collect the Flame Spirit, you must present it to the Skull Spirit guarding the Temple Chamber, which unlocks access to the crown. Once you get the crown, however, you must quickly take it to the top of the mountain before the music stops or a bat steals the crown from you.
This game provides examples of:
- Airborne Mooks: Bats will harass you as you race to get the Golden Crown to the top of the mountain.
- All Webbed Up: A spider lurking at the very bottom of the mountain will cocoon you if you come into contact with it. You must wiggle your way out of it before the spider comes back and eats you.
- Falling Damage: Averted, as your explorer can take a very long fall and still get back on his feet after a second of disorientation.
- Platform Game: A multi-scrolling platform game where you must angle the control stick up and to the left or right to jump. This can lead to some Damn You, Muscle Memory! moments if you're used to conventional platform game controls, as the action button is used for turning on the flashlight.
- Public Domain Soundtrack: "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" plays once you get the Golden Crown.
- Sound-Coded for Your Convenience: The Flame Spirit's music plays louder the closer you are to its promixity.
- Timed Mission: Each level of the game gives you a limited time to complete your objective before the game ends.