MOTOR TOON GRAND PRIX!"
Unlike most kart racers, this game employs a coin-based power-up system where the player is able to pick up coins along the track, then spend them on a power-up roulette.
This page currently Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Motor Toon Grand Prix contains the following tropes:
- Animesque: Inverted. The game has an art style evocative of Western Animation, but the art direction was handled by Susumu Matsushita, a Japanese artist.
- Difficult, but Awesome: It's been discovered that Raptor & Raptor actually go faster when driving backwards. Here's an example.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: The Penguin Bros.
- Have a Nice Death: Should you lose all three tries in the second game (by not making it high enough in the rankings), your character gets crushed by a 32-ton weight. Every character has a unique quote to go with it.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: In the aforementioned Game Over sequence, Captain Rock and Bolbox don't finish their sentences before getting crushed.
- Large Ham: The very enthusiastic announcer, who shouts whatever power-up you have.
- Macro Zone/Wackyland: Gulliver House.
- Ms. Fanservice: Vanity
- Power-Up: When you spend a coin at any time during the race, a roulette will spin, and you will collect the power-up it stops on. Some of these include:
- The Rival: Vanity is one to Princess Jean.
- The Twelve Principles of Animation: Whenever you turn, your vehicle squashes and skews to go along with it. If you find this too distracting, you can always turn it off.
- Unlockable Content: Achieving 1st place in each difficulty setting gives you bonus features in the second game.
- Easy unlocks three new racers: Vanity, Billy the Tough, and Ching Tong Shang.
- Normal unlocks the original five tracks played in reverse, along with new scenery to go with it.
- Hard unlocks Motor Toon Tank Combat, a first person tank battle game. It's notable for running at a high resolution of 640x480. Two-player mode is available with a PlayStation Link Cable.
- Professional unlocks Submarine X, a board game similar to Battleship. It also supports two-players with the PlayStation Link Cable.
- Expert unlocks Motor Toon Grand Prix R, a minigame where you drive an F1 or stock car with realistic physics (for the time) through Toon Island II. Oh, and it runs at 60 frames per second.
- Wacky Racing