Moon Hunters is an Adventure RPG with a strong focus on co-op play, with one to four players working together. Developed and published by Kitfox Games (makers of Shattered Planet), it was released on Steam on March 10, 2016, before getting ported to Playstation 4 on July 19th, 2016, Xbox One on July 19th, 2017 and Nintendo Switch on October 26th, 2017.
To directly quote the game's "About" section on Steam: "When the moon does not rise over Issaria, monsters to infest the land and cause chaos. You must set out alone or with the other chosen children of the Moon to solve the mystery and restore balance. You have only 5 days before King Mardokh and the Sun Cultists declare war."
This game makes use of the following Tropes:
- Armor-Piercing Attack: The Ritualist's attacks can be upgraded to pass through obstacles and enemies to hit other targets.
- Blocking Stops All Damage: Not really an option for the player, unfortunately, but certain monster types with hard exoskeletons or carapaces take no damage whatsoever if you happen to land a hit on them at the wrong time. A little shield appears on the monster when this happens, to make sure you know this trope is in effect.
- Fantasy Character Classes: Seven, each with unique abilities: Spellblade, Witch, Ritualist, Druid, Sun Cultist, Songweaver, and Snowdancer.
- Macrogame: Your character's exploits will be memorialized as constellations, which can then be called upon by future characters.
- Multiple Endings: Several, depending on your stats and what you've done in both the present and previous runs. For example, if you've learned King Mardokh's weakness in any of your runs and have both high Charm (most easily attained by resting every night) and a reputation for being Seductive, you'll reach the final confrontation with Mardokh on the fifth day as usual... only for him to realize you're different than he expected and offer to talk things out with you. You can then choose to sway him from his plans with your seductive wiles... or you can attack him while his guard's down.
- Randomly Generated Levels: The world of Issaria is randomized for every play through.
- Roguelike: Different upgrades, conflicts, and decisions will be accessible every run.
- The Cameo: Mina Han from Battle Chef Brigade appears helping out at the festival.