A video game Prequel to the Pixar classic Monsters, Inc., the game allows the player to play as Mike and Sulley to go through Monsters Incorporated training. Their objective is to explore and platform across urban, desert, and arctic environments as they track down and scare the Nerves, robot training dummies modeled after human children.
- Build Like an Egyptian: The desert levels prominently feature Egyptian-style sphinxes, pyramids, and tombs.
- Collect-A-Thon Platformer: Following in the wake of games like Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, this 3D platformer is mainly focused around collecting. To get the bronze medals, players must scare a certain number of Nerves in each level, which in turn require collecting a certain amount of Ooze to be scary enough. Silver medals require the player to find all ten tokens in each level. Gold medals require the player to scare all the Nerves in each level. Even Randall's races require the player to collect enough tokens in order to count as a win.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: In Arctic Pursuit, Randall pulls the same stunt as Nitrous Oxide from Crash Team Racing by starting before you. He can use the flingshots much faster while you have the delay of the cutscene of every time you use one.
- Double Jump: Sulley performs a more standard midair jump, while Mike flutters briefly in the air similar to Yoshi.
- Forced Tutorial: The first level is a mandatory tutorial, narrated by Roz.
- Full Motion Video: Clips from the film are used in-between levels.
- Ground Pound: Sulley performs a body slam, while Mike curls into a ball and can bounce repeatedly.
- Market-Based Title: Also known as Monsters, Inc. Scare Island in Europe.
- Mecha-Mooks: All enemies in the game are robots, presumably because it would be too unsafe to train with real human kids and toys.
- Plot Coupon: The bronze medals are required to proceed in the game, since all four bronze medals must be collected in each world before the next world is unlocked.
- Prequel: It takes place before the original 2001 film, showing Mike and Sulley training for their job at Monsters, Inc.
- Press X to Not Die: Upon interacting with a Nerve, the player must quickly press whichever button is displayed on-screen in order to scare the Nerve.
- Racing Minigame: After receiving all bronze medals in a world, the player can challenge Randall in a footrace where they must reach the finish line first while collecting a certain amount of tokens.
- Riddling Sphinx: One of the desert levels features a giant sphinx statue. The player must input the right sequence of symbols in order for the sphinx to reveal a Nerve.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: In the hub world, the player is free to hit Randall to their heart's content. Although Randall will flinch and scurry away quickly, standing in Randall's way will prevent him from escaping.