Monster Truck Madness is a monster truck racing PC game developed by Terminal Reality and published by Microsoft, in 1996. A sequel, Monster Truck Madness 2, was released in 1998.
The Monster Truck Madness series as a whole contains the following tropes:
- Announcer Chatter: 'Army' Armstrong, who narrates everything from trucks jockeying for position to spectacular crashes to insane jumps. His narration often crosses into Large Ham Announcer territory:
- (Truck goes off-track or crashes through barrier) GRAVE DIGGER is looking for a detour!
- (Player truck starts leaning on two wheels) Lean into it!
- (Truck starts driving on water) MONSTER PATROL is walkin' on water!
- Convection Schmonvection: The only thing driving across magma fields or the lava-filled insides of a volcano does to your truck is slow it down like it was on dirt.
- Mad Libs Dialogue: 'Army' Armstrong's Announcer Chatter is assembled from smaller voice clips.'Army' Armstrong: [Monster Truck 1] is doing it in the air!
- Overturned Outhouse: The announcer will yell "Hey! I'm in here!" if the player knocks over a port-a-potty with their truck.
- Wreaking Havok: For starters, trucks can knock down road signs and push traffic cones.
The original Monster Truck Madness contains the following tropes:
- Aluminum Christmas Trees: Yes, monster trucks really can drive on water, if not quite in the "differently-textured floor" way the game handles it.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The only game in the series to have events which actually resemble your typical monster truck rally and allow monster trucks to drive on water.
Monster Truck Madness 2 contains the following tropes:
- Old Save Bonus: If you own the original Monster Truck Madness, the sequel will let you import and play the original tracks.
- Secret Level: The Pit, only accessible by finding the hidden entrance on one of the regular tracks.
- Shows Damage: Trucks get deformed once they go tumbling.
- Product Placement: For WCW. Aside from adding WCW-themed monster trucks to the existing roster, several WCW-themed, multiplayer-only track types were added.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: The game's new multiplayer-only tracks all boil down to the concept of professional wrestling WITH MONSTER TRUCKS!