Monster Lab is a Role-Playing Game for the Wii, PlayStation 2 and Nintendo DS, developed by Backbone Entertainment and published by Eidos. The Wii version was nominated for Best RPG on the Wii by IGN in 2008.
In this game the player takes the role of an apprentice Mad Scientist. Through exploring and various Side Quests and Mini Games, parts must be gathered which allow the player to construct monsters. These monsters may then explore areas in search of even more parts, and can take on other monsters in Turn-Based Combat.
This game provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of Frankenstein's Monster, of course.
- Anatomy Arsenal: Nearly the whole point of the game.
- A Taste of Power: In the beginning, you get a very powerful monster to destroy two other monsters with. This monster gets taken away once you start building your own.
- Bio-Augmentation: Biological monster parts.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Baron Mharti.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: The Biological head Xulu Sleeping, Dreaming, and ... Waking.
- Elemental Powers: The parts of your monster can be mechanical, biological or alchemical in nature. Of course this leads to...
- Elemental RockPaperScissors: Mechanical beats biological, biological beats alchemical, alchemical beats mechanical.
- Frau Doktor: Dr. Sonderbar.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Professor Fuseless and the player, when making mechanical monster parts.
- Hikikomori: De La Sombra, until you defeat him.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The first battle gainst De La Sombra.
- Justified Tutorial: You are an apprentice Mad Scientist who has just joined the Mad Science Alliance. In the comic book prologue released prior to the game's release, you are a science student whose experiments never work exactly right, but the MSA is overseeing you from afar, seeing the glint of potential.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: This is how you bring your monsters to life.
- Mad Scientist: You, the player, are one! And so are the zany NPCs in Mad Science Castle who help you out.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: Mad Science Castle has four of them actually, three where you create the different parts, and the fourth where you construct your monsters and bring them to life.
- Mission Control: You take this role in the game, directing your creations around the game world from your base in Mad Science Castle.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Any fully biological monster is probably going to be this.
- Monster Mash / Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: T-Rex, Clown, Mummy, Wrestler, Werewolf, Samurai, Dragon, etc.
- Punny Name: Prof. Fuseless, Mayor Neidervoten, Dr. Sonderbar. The latter are a Bilingual Bonus.
- The game is set in a region named the Uncanny Valley.
- Stealth Pun: Silva the Dryad, somewhat of a Parental Bonus.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Prof. Fuseless's solution to most things.
- Also what happens if you really screw up an experiment.
- The Dark Arts: Alchemical parts and their creation.
- The Igor: Your PDA, I.G.O.R..
- Third-Person Person: De La Sombra.