Misshapen is an upcoming story-driven Body Horror Indie Game developed by BRUTO, where you must explore a ruined military base full of strange monsters and use your ability to grotesquely mutate your enemies in order to solve puzzles.
Misshapen provides examples of the following tropes:
- Biomanipulation: The main mechanic of the game is the player's ability to make enemies grow misshapen tumorous growths from their body, which come in a few different varieties such as sticky, heavy, or floating.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: Disturbingly enough, the creatures can eat any detached lumps you made from their bodies.
- Body Horror: It's advertised as a "body horror simulator" for a reason. The game's central mechanic is horrifically mutating your enemies by causing massive lumps to emerge from their body. It's possible to create entire structures using this for platforms or puzzle-solving. You can also use it to cover their eyes to prevent them from actively seeking you out.
- The enemies themselves aren't any better; the "Blind Man"/Enemy 00-variants appears as a deformed humanoid with rhodochrosite jutting out of random parts of their bodies.
- Eldritch Location: The Zheltikov military base is focused on studying the volcano of the same name, with the lava having unique properties and the area having some type of effect on the human psyche. The volcano exploding caused it the way it appears in the game.
- Fantastically Indifferent: Besides struggling a bit, none of the enemies seem to react to being horrifically mutated.
- Heroic Mime: Our character doesn't seem to talk.
- Meat Moss: The military base seems to be littered with similar growths the player makes from enemies, with some of the creatures stuck to it.
- Nightmare Fetishist: What little information we get about the player character is that they seem unusually confident despite their situation; one of their internal dialogue at the start suggests that they're excited. This is noted on In-Universe, as "past projections" had the complete opposite reaction.
- Primal Stance: Some of the Blind Men will crawl on all-fours at times.
- Retraux: The game has a low-poly art style with low-res textures.
- Weak, but Skilled: You're unable to actually harm or kill your enemies, but you have the ability to create lumps on their bodies, which can be used for solving puzzles or keeping them at bay.