Mega Man 72 is an NES-style PC fan game created by 72dpiarmy (of Super Mario War fame), which features the typical Mega Man setup of eight robot masters and 8-bit style sprites.
Their main forum can be found here.
This game provides examples of:
- Abandoned Hospital: Inject Man seems to occupy one. A robot-hospital, no less!
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: Ooze Man's level is a water treatment plant.
- Amazing Technicolor Battlefield: Distort Man's level could count as this.
- Call-Back: The plot mirrors 5's in nearly every respect (both involve a rival being framed by an impostor).
- Chainsaw Good: Saw Man has one on his arm, that he can use to grind on the floor. As if tossing saw projectiles weren't enough.
- Creator Cameo: Distort Man and Plasma Man are the winning designs of a Robot Master contest, that was held for the game. Gamble Man is also one, but the final design is far different from its original concept.
- Darker and Edgier: Mostly if one reads the character profiles, anyway.
- Eldritch Abomination: Distort Man, despite being a robot, has a freakishly nightmarish appearance.
- Eternal Engine: Plasma Man's level is a giant power plant.
- Expy: Saw Man is essentially a remodelled Metal Man with a paint job. Though the fact that HK Lurch 18 is a big fan of the latter explains the similarities.
- Hornet Hole: Buzz Man's stage is a giant hornet hive.
- Kitsune: Being a fox, Balance is modelled after one of these.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Distort Man and Plasma Man. Given that their designs were chosen for the game, it's (somewhat) justified.
- Oddly Named Fan Sequel 2: Electric Boogaloo: Justified, as the game is named after the forum its development team is from. Still doesn't prevent it from sounding bizarre, however.
- Pinball Zone: Not exactly based on pinball, but Gamble Man has a casino level.
- Playing with Fire: Buzz Man's weapon is actually a flame thrower.
- The Rival: Mute is this to Mega Man, Proto Man and Bass, as well as Balance for Rush and Treble.
- Wackyland: Mirror Man's level is full of weird gimmicks like this.