Created by Hörberg Productions, the people responsible for Gunman Clive, Mechstermination Force is best described as a Contra/Shadow of the Colossus-esque Run-and-Gun Boss Game that has you going up against 14 gigantic bosses. The game released on April 2019 exclusively for Nintendo Switch.
The year is 2024, and giant robots called the MegaMechs attack the world. No one knows where they came from or why. Only that they seek to destroy the Earth. With all leading nations destroyed, its up to a small restistance group to fight back against the threat.
Tropes associated with Mechstermination Forces are:
- Attack Its Weak Point: All bosses are this, but with a catch. Red cores must be smashed, while yellow cores must be shot down.
- Colossus Climb: Several of the MegaMechs require climbing up the outside and/or inside of them to reach their respective weak points.
- Combining Mecha: The TriMechalon 2000 is made of of a robot crab, bird, and robot, which combines into a robo-dog. The Final Boss is this with every boss.
- Kill It with Fire: A flamethrower can be purchased as an extra weapon early on. While it has short range, it does decent damage and is one of the best defensive weapons for destroying yellow bullets.
- Mythology Gag: Several billboards for Gunman Clive 2 can be seen in the background while one of the MegaMechs is an upgraded version of the final boss from that game as well.
- Secret Character: If you own Gunman Clive HD Collection on Switch, you can unlock Gunman Clive himself as a fifth playable character.
- Tastes Like Diabetes: In-Universe, the stage where TriMechalon 2000 is fought resembles Candy Land and the Hazard Level is listed as "Diabetes."