From WayForward Technologies, the same team that brought you the Shantae series, Marble Knights is a quirky little mobile fantasy RPG set in the Kingdom of Roundingham, a peaceful land that's protected by the Knights of the Round, powerful soldiers that use the skills of magic marbles to enhance their attacks. Thanks to their efforts, Roundingham was safe from dangerous creatures and threats from the outside world. Until one day, when Lord Terroball decided to invade the kingdom with his own group of minions in an attempt to conquer them once and for all. Players will start out as Orbin, his sister Marabelle, or eight other characters (some of whom are recruited along the way), as they attempt to face off against Lord Terroball's armies and defeat the threat to their people.
This game contains the following examples of:
- Be the Ball: An unusual variant: the characters' lower halves are spheres that roll while their upper halves balance above.
- Big Bad: Lord Terroball.
- Bizarre Alien Locomotion: None of the humanoid characters in Roundingham have any legs. Instead, their lower bodies are round, rolling marble-like orbs that don't seem to be connected to their bodies as different characters can swap their orbs.
- Chest Monster: Some dog-like ones appear in the game, with a bark attack that can knock you off your orb.
- Elemental Powers: Characters and switch between elemental orbs, such as fire orbs that leave trails of fire or wind orbs that create tornadoes.
- Eye Scream: One of the bosses is a Cyclops whose eye you have to knock out of his head, ride on top of all the way to a cannon, and then blast the eye back into his face.
- Fertile Feet: Or Fertile Orb, rather, one orb allows you to leave a trail of flowers and grass as you roll.
- Graceful in Their Element: Mounted on an orb, the characters are able to roll at high speeds: however, some enemies can knock them off their orb, leaving them only able to hop around on their "waists".
- Hurricane of Puns: Plenty of them, all involving circles, spheres or orbs.
- Insurmountable Waist-High Fence: One complication the Marble Knights' unique anatomy has over other similar games' mechanics is that having no legs they cannot jump, and thus rely on special spring mechanisms to get over even small ledges.
- Lovable Rogue: Gutter.
- Meaningful Name: Many of the character names, such as Orbin, Marabelle, King Rolland, Lord Terroball, Oblate, Q'ball, Whiffle and Gutter, are puns on round objects.
- Names To Run Away From Very Fast: The main antagonist, Lord Terroball.
- Palette Swap: In multiplayer mode when there are multiples of the same character.