The layout is pretty simple. Each of the stages in the game represents a "cartoon" where you play as one of the characters, as they try to achieve a goal of some kind. Whether it be Daffy Duck on a hunt for treasure, Tweety outrunning Sylvester, or the Road Runner attempting to thwart Wile E. Coyote's latest hairbrained attempt to capture him.
The game was re-released for the Game Boy Color in 1999. With updated color graphics and new bonus games.
This totally Looney Game contains examples of:
- Big Boo's Haunt: Speedy Gonzales' and Bugs Bunny's levels take place in a haunted pyramid.
- Bonus Level: Taz's stage contains no enemies and there is no way to die, effectively making it this. The real goal of the level is to get as many pieces of meat as you can before time runs out.
- Boss-Only Level: The Road Runner's stage has no enemies or crazy obstacles, just Wile E. Coyote going after him with various projectiles. Defeating him completes the level.
- Boss Rush: Bugs Bunny's stage pits him against a total of five bosses in a row.
- Collision Damage: From anything that moves.
- Demoted to Extra: Foghorn Leghorn and Pepe Le Pew are nowhere to be seen in this game, except for the end credits.
- Difficulty Spike: After Taz's stage, Speedy Gonzales' level significantly ramps up the difficulty.
- Goomba Stomp: The main way of dispatching enemies, though some characters have a special alternate attack to use instead.
- Mini-Boss: They're prevalant and rather weird. Not only do you have Marvin the Martian and Yosemite Sam as recurring bosses, but then you have bizarre ones like a skeleton dinosaur, a whistling mummy, a little guy carrying a rock, and a sunglasses-wearing frog.
- Hearts Are Health: The playable characters have a set of three hearts, and heart bottles restore them.
- Palmtree Panic: Daffy Duck's stage starts as this, before going into Under the Sea for the second half.
- Platform Game: Relatively simple run-and-jump set up, besides Porky Pig's level that is.
- Savage Setpiece: In Daffy Duck's level, there are large birds that can be ridden over platforms. They're mostly harmless, but if you hit them with an attack, they turn a darker color and start firing bullets relentlessly.
- Timed Mission: With the exception of Taz's level. You're put on a timer for each level.
- Took a Level in Badass: The very Final Boss of the game is none other than Elmer Fudd, and he's pretty tough.
- Unexpected Shmup Level: Porky Pig's level.