Life of Pixel is an independent video game made to celebrate the 8-bit and 16-bit eras of video games.
This game contains examples of:
- Gravity Screw: Some levels feature gravity inversions.
- Nintendo Hard: The trailer outright says "Pixel will die. Lots."
- Platform Game
- Retraux: Stages are in the style of many 8-bit and 16-bit systems, from consoles to computers.
- Shout-Out: There are homages to Mega Man, Castlevania, Zelda, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Metroid, Wonder Boy, Pitfall, Sonic and more, as well as computer games like Turrican, Uridium, Jet Set Willy, James Pond, Rick Dangerous, Prince of Persia, Impossible Mission, and Exile.
- Totally Radical: One of Pixel's powerups is a skateboard.