Leylines is a 4X Strategy game created by Crystal Shard. You play a powerful wizard, start by ruling a small nation, and plot to take over the world using armies from seven different races, and powerful spells in four different spheres. A notable effect is that the spells can be quite destructive to the world itself, particularly Chaos magic.
The game is available on Steam.
Contains tropes such as:
- Ancient Grome: one of the races, the Regency is inspired by the Roman empire, and features coliseums, heavy corruption, slavery, and undead.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: one of the races. As usual, dwarves are technically-minded and defensive in strategy. Unusual is that they ride spiders in battle.
- Our Elves Are BD Ifferent: one of the races, artistic elves with a focus on magic, archery, and diplomacy.
- Our Goblins Are Different: another race, notable in that they are nomadic and do not build cities at all. Yes, in a city-building game.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: another one of the races, the shapeshifting Theria with particularly un-city-like cities.
- Proud Warrior Race Guy: the S'sirthe lizardfolk race, and to a lesser extent the dwarves.
- Shout-Out: the spell Seismic Reorganizer comes from Terry Pratchett's Discworld.