Kinectimals is a game for the Xbox 360. The player takes on the role of an adventurer/explorer who visits a remote, mysterious island.There, the player discovers its inhabitants — a bizarre lemur/fairy hybrid named "Bumbles" and a bunch of great cat cubs. Bumbles soon tells the player of "Felis Aurum," a giant cat statue made out of gold, said to be hidden somewhere on the island, and he, the player and one of the cubs go off to explore.
A sequel/expansion pack was released; Kinectimals Now With Bears. In this, you arrive at Mira Island, the island shown at the end of the first game. And with a new guide, "Lina" you explore the island solving "Fiddler’s Quest."
This video game contains examples of:
- All Animals Are Dogs: The big cats don't quite act like dogs, they act more like a cross between a dog, a domestic cat, and a human baby.
- Animals Not to Scale: All of the cubs are roughly the same size; needless to say, a tiger cub, would, for example, in real life be much larger than say, a bobcat kitten of the same age.
- Artistic License – Biology:
- The first game features red-ruffed lemurs in one of the environments… that lack ruffs.
- The sequel features a red panda with a much shorter tail than it would realistically have.
- Artistic License – Paleontology: The game states that the saber-toothed cat (no specific genus or species given) was the ancestor of all living cats. This is inaccurate because Machairodontinae, the subfamily that saber-toothed cats belonged to, diverged from the lineage that would to Felinae and Pantherinae (the two subfamilies of living cats) and was ancestral to neither.
- Panthera Awesome: The developers could've gone with just regular ol' kittens. They didn't.
- Rule of Cute: What's that, you say? Lions, Tigers, Panthers, Cheetahs and Leopards don't have the same habitat, aren't the same size, and don't act like housecats? Who cares!
- Sequel Hook: You, Bumbles, and your cub discover another island at the end of the game.
- More subtle are the statues showing three different kinds of animal heads - a large cat head, a bear head, and a wolf head.
- Shout-Out: Your kitty can drive a Warthog or Banshee. D'awwwwwwww.
- The Reveal: Felis Aurum Is not a giant gold cat statue, but the world's last Sabertooth Tiger!