KickMaster is a 1992 Platform Game for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was one of several action games for the system developed by the Japanese company KID for U.S. publisher Taxan, but was instead released by Taito after Taxan went out of business.
The game stars a martial arts master named Thonolan, who lives in the Kingdom of Lowrel. The evil witch Belzed sends her monstrous forces to conquer Lowrel, killing the King and Queen, and kidnapping Princess Silphee. In retribution, Thonolan and his partner Macren attack one of Belzed's minions, but the minion strikes down Macren. With his last dying breath, Macren inspires Thonolan to continue without him, for his martial arts and magic is the kingdom's last hope. Thonolan swears vengeance against Belzed and sets off on his quest.
KickMaster is a 2D Platformer. You take control of Thonolan as he battles Belzed's minions with his kicking abilities. But kicking isn't all Thonolan can do to survive. Along the way he will learn different magical spells that give him an extra edge, like health restoration, magic projectiles, flight, and more. There are also some slight RPG Elements, as Thonolan can gather experience from killing enemies to level up and learn more advanced and powerful kicking moves.
This video game contains examples of:
- Big Bad: The evil witch Belzed.
- Bittersweet Ending: Thonolan successfully destroys Belzed and rescues Silphee unharmed, but the game does mention that the kingdom of Lowrel has suffered major losses, and Silphee will have to rule alone as Queen. Thonolan also disappears, but will return again.
- Collision Damage: In a game where it's required to get close to enemies to attack, this makes things troublesome.
- Death Mountain: The Bottomless Crevasse (Stage 4) takes place in a mountainous region.
- Diving Kick: One of Thonolan's level up moves is a Knee Drop to strike foes below him.
- Experience Points: You get these from automatically killing enemies, and some of the items they drop can provide a bonus.
- Extremity Extremist: Thonolan is a leg extremist, of course. All of his melee attacks are kicks.
- Gangplank Galleon: Aboard the Ship of Strife takes place on a sailing ship.
- Literal Ass-Kicking: If the game title didn't clue you in, you'll be melee kicking things in this game.
- The Lost Woods: The Witches' Forest is the first level.
- Nintendo Hard: The fact that its very easy to take damage and some of the enemies are ruthless and difficult to attack, this game has difficulty in spades. The game ramps up in the second level and never lets up.
- Poison Mushroom: Killed enemies will sometimes drop skull icons, which will hurt Thonolan if he collects them.
- Save the Princess: Or save the Queen in this case. Princess Silphee is officially Queen, now that her parents are gone.
- The Tower: The Final Stage. Belzed's Haunted Tower.
- Underground Level: Stage 2. The Caverns of No Return.