KAIMA is a short RPG Maker game by NomnomNami. It's a bit different from her previous games in that the setting is darker and it features combat more prominently. The basic story is that the titular world of Kaima is being destroyed by the usurper, Prince Vido. You play as Searina, a little pink demon who is thrust into the whole thing. She quickly meets Illi, a friend of Princess Ezel who wants to avenge her death at the hands of Vido. Together, its up to them to save the world.
The game can be downloaded for free here.
KAIMA contains examples of:
- Back from the Brink: Searina saves the entire planet from imminent destruction in some endings.
- Battle Theme Music
- Big Bad: Prince Vido, who killed his sister, Princess Ezel, in an attempt to usurp the throne, and is the one destroying the world of Kaima by sucking out all its energy. Except he is actually doing it to seal Ezel, who's been eating the world's subjects all along and wants to destroy the world herself. Upon being released, Ezel becomes the main threat.
- Boss Banter: Vido engages in it, and so does Illi and Ezel.
- Cain and Abel: In the backstory, Prince Vido killed Princess Ezel to usurp her throne and stop her from devouring her subjects souls. She returns the favor in some endings.
- Character Portrait: Everyone has one, including the NPCs.
- Cruelty Is the Only Option: You have to fight Vido, even after learning the truth about him and his motives.
- Darker and Edgier: NomnomNamis previous games were more relaxed and dealt more with characters everyday lives. Here, the conflict concerns the fate of the world as it is slowly being devoured.
- Previous games also often had No Antagonist, and of those that did, Nil was a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds, the culprits in Romance Detective (Rosemary, Leandre, and Venus) were Well Intentioned Extremists, and the antagonists in Lonely Wolf Treat were mundane racists. The Big Bad of this game is a genuinely evil and loathsome monarch who seeks to devour the world, commits sibling murder, and eats demons souls, all while manipulating Illi into believing that she is a benevolent princess, when Ezel is anything but.
- Multiple Endings:
- Indifferent Ending: If Searina allows Illi to kill Vido without considering that Vido may be right; Illi frees Ezel from her seal. Illi leaves the area with Ezel, who pauses to look at Searina on her way out. Searina wonders if Illi is now in danger, but indifferently shrugs it off. Searina, still soulless, then gazes off of Kaima with a smile, with the silhouettes of Ezel and Illi visible in the background.
- Bad Ending: If Searina convinces Illi to spare Vido and loses in the following battle; Ezel instructs Illi to devour Searina; however, while Illi cannot bring herself to harm Searina, Searina is easily able to kill Illi, still soulless and merely dismissing it as self defense. Disappointed in Illi's weakness, Ezel offers to allow Searina to join her or remain on the dying Kaima; not wanting to live on a dead world, Searina joins Ezel. Some time later, Searina and Ezel can be seen walking hand in hand on a darkened Kaima, with Searina having clearly devoured the souls of other demons.
- Good Ending: If Searina stops Illi from killing Vido, and does not fight Illi; Searina manages to convince Vido to undo Ezel's seal; upon doing so, Ezel sadistically devours the weakened Vido. Ezel then reveals that demons have the power to absorb the powers of others via cannibalism, and instructs Illi to devour Searina; however, neither of them are willing to harm the other, and instead turn against Ezel, managing to destroy the souls she was feeding off of and killing her. After potentially conversing with the souls of the dead (including an apologetic Vido), Searina then finally reunites with her soul on the restored Kaima.
- Secret Ending: If Searina manages to escape the monsters by navigating through the darkness of of the devoured portion of Kaima, instead of running through the still-remaining part; she unwittingly walks around the entire world and encounters the sealed Ezel. Vido quickly notices her, but upon realizing that she isn't there to unseal Ezel and only cares about self preservation, enlists Searina in helping him keep Ezel sealed.
- Not So Different: Ezel says this to Searina after she defeats Illi.
- Sheathe Your Sword: The way to get the best ending is to stop Illi from killing Vido, and avoid hitting her during the fight with her.
- Soul Eating: This is how Ezel gets her powers.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The driving force behind the game is Vidos world destroyers eating KAIMA.
- Title Theme Drop: It's the name of the planet.
- Turn-Based Combat
- Wrap Around: The Secret Ending is found by finding a hidden path in the first room of the game, which will wrap Searina to Ezels resting place.