Jet Island is a Virtual Reality game developed by Master Indie, available on Steam for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift. Players are set loose in an enormous beautiful island to explore via surfing on a jet board, jets built into the players hands, grappling hooks, and charged pistol shots.
This game contains the following tropes:
- Attack Its Weak Point: The only way to damage bosses are to attack their Power Crystals.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Giant spiders, lizards, and others in their own Boss Room. There's also a giant worm that flys around.
- Bizarrchitecture: Large arching bridges connecting islands, giant pillars that don't even support anything, broken ramps arcing off into nothing, and so on. It makes for a fun way to get around though.
- Boss Game: Aside from a few easy drones, the only enemies you encounter will be bosses.
- Boss Room: Each of the bosses (with the exception of the worm) have their own arenas that play to their strengths.
- Bottomless Pits: The island itself floats above one. Unless you can grab ahold of something quick, you'll plummet to your death.
- Colossus Climb: The bosses are titanic so this is necessary to reach their Power Crystals.
- Crystal Landscape: Large crystals are peppered throughout the landscape and all over the bosses, making climbing them a hazard.
- Eat Me: The only way to kill the worm is to get inside various segments and destroy the Power Crystal, then make your way up to the front and fly down its throat.
- Eye Lights Out: The bosses eyes fade when their main crystal is destroyed.
- Floating Platforms: There are plenty of these all over. Some are necessary to reach the higher floating islands.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: The player has one mounted on each wrist.
- Power Crystal: The bosses all run on these. Minor ones will be outside and must be destroyed to reach the main crystal in the heart of the boss.
- Recoil Boost: Charging a shot on your laser pistol can give you a boost. Doing this against a wall or floor at close range will send you flying quite far.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The bosses all have red eyes that fade when they are defeated.
- Ruins for Ruins' Sake: Most of the architecture seems to serve no purpose other than to give you nifty things to grapple onto or surf across.
- Scenery Porn: This game is absolutely gorgeous. Big colorful nebulas in the sky, tall mountains and towers, floating islands, this game makes full use of VR to really immerse the player in an alien world of wonder.
- World in the Sky: The island itself, as well as several smaller islands higher up.