Its animated opening shows pumpkin-headed Dennis deliver the infant Devil in a cage to his master, the resident Mad Scientist Dr. Knarf. The latter is initially annoyed as he was just about to dissect a helpless anthroporphic eggplant, but soon decides that cutting a cute Devil into "teeny weeny little pieces" is even better! Luckily, our Devil manages to both escape his clutches and wreck the lab with a poorly stored bottle of nitroglycerin, the resultant explosion knocking the Devil all the way into Jersey.
Many years have passed, and Dr. Knarf finally recovered from the damage inflicted on his lab, and was able to finish his experiment to create an army of mutant plants to kidnap Jersey's residents. However, the Devil has now grown up into a defender of Jersey, and is there to rescue the citizens and thwart Knarf's plans.
This game contains the following tropes:
- Airborne Mook: You'll regularly encounter flying insect enemies, complete with a very annoying mosquito-like whine.
- Art Shift: The intro sequence is hand-drawn animation, while the in-game cutscenes are presented using the game engine.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Inverted; the game's opening, which shows the resident Big Bad about to dissect cute defenseless critters for fun, is a lot darker than that of a typical mascot platformer, and also the darkest the game ever gets. For the rest of the runtime, Dr. Knarf contents himself with merely kidnapping Jersey's citizens and calls it a needed break from the boring routine of their lives. In the end, he is sent to jail after being defeated and everyone is happy.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: All of the enemies defeated by the devil instantly disappear in a puff of smoke.
- Down the Drain: The level "Sewer Port" contains a section in the sewers themselves.
- Evil Laugh: The villain, Dr. Knarf, is quite fond of ending his gloating speeches with one. He also regularly laughs during his battle.
- Flash of Pain: The Devil flickers for several seconds whenever he gets hit.
- Good Is Boring: The motivation of Dr. Knarf, as stated in his ending monologue:''Well, well, well. Seems like this beautiful little city has fallen back into its usual peaceful, boring, casual life. Enjoy it, stupid little citizens, because I'll be back!" (crawls out unharmed from a lava pit he fell into after getting defeated by the Devil, only to get arrested immediately after.)
- Heroic Mime: The Devil never speaks; pretty much all the voice acting in the game comes from Dr. Knarf.
- Mad Bomber: The pumpkin-headed enemies attack by spamming multiple cartoon bombs at regular intervals. Luckily, both their throw range and the explosion range is so pitifully short that they are easy to deal with regardless.
- Molotov Cocktail: Dr. Knarf throws these from atop a floating platform during his boss fight. You need to deflect them back at him.
- Not Quite Flight: The Devil has a pair of wings on his back, but they are only large enough to allow him to glide down.
- Smashing Hallway Traps of Doom: A very literal example of a hallway with multiple ascending and descending doors that all have spiked edges.
- Spin Attack: The titular Devil can spin around to smack the enemies with his tail.