Like many obscure classic Konami games, Jackal was referenced in later Konami games such as Silent Scope and Contra Returns.
Jackal features examples of:
- Acro Fatic: The first boss you encounter is a platoon of Heavy Tanks which move very fast for their size.
- Boss Warning Siren: A rather short one is heard before boss battles in the NES game.
- Collision Damage: This one is a bit strange on the NES:
- Not only can you run over enemy foot soldiers with your jeep, they will die if they run into your jeep (even when you're not moving).
- Driving into a wall won't kill you. Driving into a boulder that has stopped moving will.
- Continuing is Painful: Subverted in the arcade version. Your missile launcher will only be downgraded by one level when you lose a life. Played straight in the NES version, however. You will always revert back to the default grenade launcher after dying.
- Direct Continuous Levels: The arcade version takes place in one continuous stage that changes the background music the further the player progresses into the game.
- Every 10,000 Points: It costs 20,000 points to earn an extra life.
- Market-Based Title: The arcade version is known as Tokushu Butai Jackal in Japan, Top Gunner in America and just Jackal everywhere else.
- The NES version was released in Japan as a Disk System game titled Final Command: Akai Yōsai.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: A single bullet will destroy your jeep.
- Reformulated Game: The NES version version broke down the various areas from the arcade version into separate stages and added boss encounters at the end of each of them.
- Regional Bonus: The NES version received wider level designs, with an entire new stage and boss, thanks to the switch from disk to cartridge format.
- Too Dumb to Live: When you die right next to the helipad, the POWs will continue to wander around and wave for a pickup instead of going straight to the rescue copter.Arin: Why didn't he just walk to the helicopter!?Dan: Where is it!?
- Weaksauce Weakness: Throwing a Grenade OVER enemy soldiers will kill them.Dan: OH NO!! The arc of the Grenade!!