Jack Keane is the story of the titled character, who sails a run-down ship, the Charming Princess. However, he is a little run down on luck, with a barely sailing ship and unpaid crew-members. He is contracted by an agent of the Queen to bring a secret agent to Tooth Island, to determine if Doctor T is planning a threat to the empire. Meanwhile, Doctor T hires an american named Amanda, to help his plan to drop tea-eating plants over the competition.
It was succeeded by a sequel, Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within.
This game provides examples of:
- Conveniently-Placed Sharp Thing: Jack is carrying the knife when he's tied to the chair, which the Loan Shark thugs forgot to remove. Taunting the loan shark knocks the knife loose, and taunting him again brings the knife into reach.
- 419 Scam: The beggar in cape town describes his story about having an inheritance, needing to pay off bank fees and his ship, and get 30% of the inheritance in return.
- Grappling-Hook Pistol: The secret agent has a collapsible crossbow that fires a grappling hook, which then pulls down a temple.
- Fixed Camera: Some cameras are placed suboptimally, where it may be hard to see or find important items unless you see it in the right one. One example is the bucket which is thrown at the gorilla, which teleports after the cutscene is finished.
- Loan Shark: The first chapter involves two thugs sent by the Mr. Lee, where Jack is tied up in a chair. The two thugs are more than happy to beat the payment out of Jack.
- Meaningful Name: Doctor T. Directly related to monopolizing Tea distribution.
- Notice This: There's a faint dot at places where you can clibm up and down. Additionally, holding down a key marks all environmental objects that you can interact with (including some objects that are not yet visible.)
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The secret agent is wearing a Mexican sombero and poncho, with the uniform visible underneath. He refuses to remove it as long as suspicious people are around (your crew).
- Perpetual Poverty: Aside from being in debt by a loan shark, Jack only has a small amount of funds at any one time, and they're quickly spent.
- Safecracking: Without the combination, Amanda can use the stethoscope from the medikit to crack the safe. The process is underwhelming, as Amanda simply says that it worked (as if it was a default statement.)
- Scenery Censor: When the secret agent removes his clothing as a means to make himself lighter for a see-saw springboard, there's a conveniently placed object. It only conceals underwear.
- Solar-Powered Magnifying Glass: The compass may have its lens extracted, which may then be used to start a fire (as an alternative to the lighter).
- Spy Speak: After the suspicious characters are gone, the agent tries to introduce himself using two code phrases, but is upset that Keane wasn't provided the password.
- Unfortunate Item Swap: Two identical looking bottles, and you need to switch them around.
- Westminster Chimes: The clock tower chimes 9:00 as soon as the thug is knocked in to Big Ben.