It appears to be set in a world where the human society has been completely taken over by a cult of Four Evil Princes. Of course, only the sages of old called them that, back when there was still the strength to resist them. For generations since then, humanity at large only knows them as Messiahs, brought to save the human souls as the only representation of truth and life, with the slave-priests keeping the flock in line and promptly rooting out any deviations. Now, an unnamed protagonist is the only one who dares to rise up and confront them.
- Bad "Bad Acting": The narrator in the opening both has a very questionable pronunciation and is clearly just reading the lines without much care for them.
- Burn the Witch!: Inverted in the opening, where a clearly evil hag and a gaggle of her followers burn a pretty young maiden at stake.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: A flamethrower is one of the three main weapons you get to wield.
- First-Person Ghost: Your character possesses no lower body.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: The only way to attack before you find your first weapon, or if you happened to run out of ammo.
- Heroic Mime: The protagonist doesn't speak even once.
- Off with His Head!: The opening cutscene illustrates its narration about how the heads of hydra "do not rise again but have always been risen" with a first-person scene of some evil-looking humanoid getting its head torn off with bare heads...only to be reattached to a body immediately after.
- Shock and Awe: A lighting cannon is the first proper weapon you obtain. It's not very impressive, though, as the enemies do not even react much to electricity coursing all over their body, rather than being stunned and/or screaming out in pain and terror.
- Title Drop: The opening cutscene ends with one: "The journey you must take will lead you to the deepest labyrinths of your true Self. You must confront it to break the inner chains."
- Toplessness from the Back: The opening shows a group led by a witch burning a young woman at stake. She appears to be completely naked, but the camera is positioned behind the stake she is tied to, so we only see her back.
- Universal Ammunition: Averted, to the point that there are specific ammo refill stations for every ammo type.