- It's late, hun... you have to wake up...
Home Sweet Home is a Thai episodic VR-based survival horror game developed by Yggdrazil Group and released in 2017. A man named Tim wakes up after a night of too much partying, only to find himself in an unfamiliar room. After finding a flashlight just outside the door, Tim discovers that he appears to be in an unknown, seemingly abandoned university dorm, with trash and stacked furniture blocking several hallways and rooms. He catches a glimpse of what appears to be a teenage girl disappearing around a corner, and chases after her in the hopes of finding out where the hell he is. Little does he know he's about to step into a nightmare...
Home Sweet Home is heavily based on Thai culture and myths, and both the scares and mythology of the game, as well as the world itself, is taken directly from Thailand. The game is first-person, and focuses mostly on stealth and hiding, with only a handful of gameplay segments that can be considered action. Exploration is also important, and many areas do not have any dangers at all, instead the goal is to find diary pages or puzzle items to help you progress.
Not related to the equally terrifying NES horror game Sweet Home.
The game contains examples of:
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The third area is haunted by a Preta, or a Hungry Ghost, a kind of being born from the souls of people who committed sins against those who loved them. They are bound to haunt the location of their crimes, with their massive form and disproportionately tiny mouth meaning that they can never eat enough to be full. The one in game is implied to be a man who robbed and injured his mother, condemned to stay around the house where it occured.
- Bizarrchitecture: The crawlspace in Tim's house can somehow lead to two different locations, which themselves make little sense.
- Bloody Horror:
- One of the first signs that something is very wrong is when Tim turns a corner and discovers a corridor covered in blood.
- The Ghost Girl travels through the Dorms using portals made of blood.
- The final battle against the girl in episode one happens in a room filled with blood. In that stage, she also becomes covered in blood during the battle.
- Cliffhanger: The first episode ends with Jane (Tim's wife) badly injured and dragged off by what appears to be a mannequin dressed in a worn, old ceremonial dress.
- Driven to Suicide: Late in the game, one of the scares revolves around a student at the dorms comitting suicide by hanging himself from one of the balconies. Strangely enough, the Girl stops and weeps in front of his body when you return through the same area later, allowing you to escape. It's implied that the girl is the ghost of that student's girlfriend, so that's one reason for her to start crying.
- Exorcist Head: When you manage to catch up to the Girl, she proceeds to turn her entire head 180 degrees towards you and let out an earpiercing scream. Cue running.
- Haunted Technology: The TV in Tim's house, the second time you arrive there, which appears to be counting down to something.
- Hell Is That Noise: The Ghost Girl's scream, and the weird creaking noise she makes as she walks around.
- The 'creaking' sound, is, in fact, the sound of her repeatedly sliding the blade of the box cutter she is armed with in and out of its sheath.
- Holy Burns Evil: Near the end of the game, you're trapped in a room with the Ghost Girl, and have to use a bottle of holy water to keep her away while you're sawing through a locked door. It's not enough to kill her but it drives her off.
- Jump Scare: Plenty, considering what kind of game it is. Ironically, the first jump scare you encounter is just a trash bag falling from an upper story past you on the staircase.
- Sanity Slippage: Jane's diary reveals that she had been going through some serious mental issues possibly caused by supernatural phenomenon.
- Scare Chord: Stumbling across the Girl will trigger one of these, just before her scream. Though you do have a little bit of time to hide again.
- Story Breadcrumbs: The plot of the game is only hinted at through newspaper clips, radio broadcasts and pages from Jane's diary. Each location has its own story.
- The College Dorms were home to a student who practiced magic, and used it to murder a rival and get the boy she liked to love her back. Unfortunately, the boy committed suicide. The magic-using student (or perhaps the girl she killed) is implied to be the Ghost Girl.
- The Traditional House was the home of a woman whose son betrayed her by robbing and injuring her. Now, in death, he haunts the place as a Preta.
- Tim's wife Jane was haunted by a supernatural phenomena, causing her severe stress. She hid this from Tim and tried to deal with it on her own, which did not go well. At the end of the game, she has been kidnapped by something.
- Thinking Up Portals: The Ghost Girl can appear anywhere in the dorms using portals on the walls made of blood.
- You Wake Up in a Room: This is how the game starts. Tim wakes up in an unfamiliar, somewhat dingy-looking dorm room with no memory of where he is or how he got there.