Loosely based on the 1992 film, the game is all about Kevin McAllister getting seperated from his family at the airport, and ending up in New York all by his lonesome. Kevin must now brave the tough challenges of New York, as well as fend off the Wet Bandits, Harry And Marv, who are also on the loose and want revenge.
You naturally play as Kevin as he runs and jumps around New York, fighting off enemies and gathering items. In each stage, he starts off with a standard throwable weapon that can be upgraded by grabbing various Power ups to put said weapons together. These weapons are naturally more powerful and more effective at defeating enemies and especially the Wet Bandits, who will show up in each stage to pester Kevin.
This game contains examples of:
- The Big Rotten Apple: The overall setting. Kevin is in New York, and everyone wants him dead.
- Bowdlerise: Kevin touches the blonde lady on the back instead of pinching her rear.
- Breakable Power-Up: Getting caught by Harry or Marv with a powered-up weapon downgrades it to its previous level.
- Collision Damage: Naturally. Don't touch anything, if you can.
- Down the Drain: The Seventh level takes Kevin through the pipelines and sewers of the old house, where lots of dragonflies and giant frogs attack him.
- Dreadful Dragonfly: Numerous in the seventh stage.
- Eternal Engine: The Second stage takes place in the Luggage area of the airport, which gives off this vibe.
- Every 10,000 Points: Kevin gets an extra life at every 25,000-point milestone.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Security Guards, Luggage, Shopkeepers, Cats, birds, toys, Ninja...
- The Goomba: Businessmen carrying briefcases. They move slowly and are easy to defeat, but once you knock them out, you have to be careful of the briefcase flying outwards and sliding across the floor, which hurts you.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: The Game Over screen has the Wet Bandits leaving Kevin all tied up in a bag and waving him off on a subway train to who knows where.Marv: You know, Harry? I feel pretty good about myself.Harry: You should, Marv. You just outsmarted a kid.
- 1-Up: Collecting turtle doves gives Kevin an extra life.
- Overreacting Airport Security: The security guards in the first level chase after Kevin when he gets past the gate. Their answer to this breach in security? Try to kill Kevin (via Collision Damage) of course.
- Platform Game
- Power-Up Food: Water bottles, milk and lunchpails restore parts of Kevin's health. Pizza fully restores it.
- "Stuck at the Airport" Plot: Laguardia Airport (Stage 1) isn't a green hill, but still fairly basic. It's a straightforward and linear level with simple enemies and plenty of space for players to get used to Kevin's controls.
- Toy Time: The Toy Megastore Duncan's Toy Chest is the fourth stage. Unsurprisingly, there are loose active toys that can hurt you.