Holy Potatoes! is a series of Construction and Management Games available on Steam. They were created by Daylight Studios, with some entries published by Daedalic Entertainment. Currently, there are four games in the series:
- Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?!, in which the protagonist is the grandson of a famous blacksmith, who inherits the business after his grandfather's..."disappearance".
- Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?!, in which two sisters manage their own spaceship as they travel the galaxy in search of their grandfather.
- Holy Potatoes! What the Hell?!, in which a damned chef must work his way up to Heaven from Hell by cooking for both sinners and gods.
- Holy Potatoes! A Spy Story?!, in which twins manage their own spud spy headquarters as they work to locate their missing parents.
Although there are some differences between each game, the core game play involves managing a workshop of spuds, developing their talents and using them to craft items.
Tropes throughout the Series:
- Anthropomorphic Food: In case the title didn't give you an idea, all characters in the series are talking potatoes.
- Companion Cube: Subverted, Ren has a Mechanical arm with mind of it's own and is prone to make punny remarks, but Ren hates it.
- Excited Show Title! / Questioning Title?: Every single installment ends with a "?!"
- Green-Eyed Monster: In the original game, Agent 46 grew to despise his business partner Batata; while his friend became a famous blacksmith and got to have a loving family, the only things 46 was good at were bookkeeping and being paid to "mash" other potatoes.
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: There's a DLC side-story for A Weapon Shop?! titled "Spud Tales: Journey to Olympus", in which Patata's workshop is tasked with helping Herclueless collect materials from the gods and forge gear to help him complete some trials.
- Half-Identical Twins: Ren and Rexa, the protagonists of A Spy Story?!
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: The player can usually change the name of the protagonist, as well as their companion (such as the dog in A Weapon Shop?!).
- Not Quite Dead: In the first game, Patata's grandfather turns out to be alive, though he had to go into hiding after his partner Agent 46 grew jealous and tried to kill him.
- Overly Long Name: The main character in A Weapon Shop?! is called Patatalata Kartoffel P. Aardappel Papa, though the player can choose anything to be his nickname, with the default being Patata.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni:
- Cassie and her sister Fay from We're in Space?!, respectively. Cassie is loud, childish, and tomboyish, and her ship skills are primarily offense-oriented, whereas Fay is calm, smart, and grumpy, and her ship skills are primarily defense-oriented.
- The twins Rexa and Ren from A Spy Story?!, respectively as well.
- Shout-Out: Nearly every character in the series is a media reference combined with a potato pun, such as POTaDOS and Hairy Pota(to).
- Team Pet: In each game, after making some progress, the protagonists get a little pet that offers some sort of lesser benefit. In A Weapon Shop?! there's a Potato dog, in We're in Space?! a blue space cat, in What the Hell?! a winged pig thing, and in A Spy Story?! a flying hamster.
- Treacherous Advisor: Agent 46 in the original, who takes a large cut out of the protagonist's profits, and later sides with the evil Spud Lord when Batata returns.
- Unexpected Inheritance: In the original game, Patata was a waiter at a restaurant before learning his grandfather was gone and that he'd inherited a blacksmith business.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: At the end of the original game's story, Patata convinces Agent 46 to redeem himself by reminding him how encouraging he had been as an adviser.