Heroes of Ardania is a fan-made, Free Ware Text Adventure game set in the same world as Cyberlore's Majesty. Rather than assuming the role of a monarch hassled by his advisor, though, one plays from the perspective of the heroes.
Like the original Majesty, it seems to know what kind of game it is, and doesn't take itself too seriously throughout. Even while it's hanging lampshades right and left, though, tropes common to RPGs are in full force, and players get a more in-depth look at Ardania.
It can be found here.
- Alliance Meter: The temples and prayer mechanic - Ardania's deities do not like each other. if you predominately pray to Dauros and Agrela, you will have trouble gaining the favor of Fervus and Krypta; Helia and Lunord are opposed, and Krolm doesn't play well with anybody but his followers.
- An Adventurer Is You: All fourteen flavors of heroes in the original Majesty are available to play, and they fall into groups based on which primary stat gets enhanced every other level-up.
- Arbitrary Headcount Limit: You can only hire six followers (nine if you have skeletons).
- But Thou Must!: Averted in many cases - often, you can snark at the NPC or choose to leave the conversation altogether.
- Critical Encumbrance Failure: Played straight, but in tiers. Your encumbrance is given in a percentage: from 100 - 150%, traveling takes extra time; at over 150%, it becomes impossible.
- Critical Hit: Monks, Barbarians, and Warriors of Discord have it, and it kills instantly (unless the monster you're fighting happens to be resistant).
- An Economy Is You: Functionally this, but the flavor text mentions that you see only options helpful to you.
- Equipment-Based Progression: Used in conjunction with Level Grinding - how important either one is depends upon the Splat.
- Guest-Star Party Member: In the quest "A Priest for the Valmorgen Mausoleum", you get a Flesh Hunter.
- Healing Potion: Comes in several different strengths, from the Health Grubs (4 HPS) to the Total Restoration Tincture (9999 HPs)
- Hit Points
- Impossible Item Drop: Whenever you explore sewers or raid lairs, this often happens (and what you can't use can always be sold)
- Inexplicable Treasure Chests: Only rarely do they actually contain gold, though.
- Item Crafting: Schematics - Just Add Water.
- Level Grinding
- Mass Monster Slaughter Sidequest: The Monster Hunts in Lormidia.
- Money Spider: Every time.
- No Hero Discount: Unless you go to the zoo.
- No Stat Atrophy: Most of the time, unless you drink too many tankards of ale - then you start leaking Intelligence
- Openingthe Sandbox: After level 7, when you pass the Trial of Venn's Spire or defeat the Goblins or Ratmen in the Sewer Tunnels.
- Plot Tunnel: The final part of "A Priest for the Valmorgen Mausoleum"
- Preexisting Encounters: Almost guaranteed when using the Potion of Monster Detection.
- Quest Giver
- Random Encounters: The game runs on these.
- Rat Stomp: For the first seven levels, anyway...
- Resources Management Gameplay: The most precious resource is time. For every hour in real time, each hero in Ardania is given a "turn," and it's impossible to travel or explore new locations without them.
- RPGS Equal Combat