Halo Infinite is a direct sequel in the Halo series to Halo 5: Guardians, first announced at E3 2018 at Microsoft's press briefing. Little is known about the game, especially since it does not feature a number. The only thing known about the game is that it's the first to feature a new 343 Industries proprietary engine dubbed "Slipspace".
The game has no release date. According to 343 Industries studio head Chris Lee, "We still have a long way to go until we ship the game." It will also be a Windows 10 release, allowing players to experience the full saga alongside The Master Chief Collectionnote .
Halo Infinite provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: According to Word of God, art director Nicolas Bouvier will be "drawing significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise." As such, the E3 trailer showed a more Bungie-style SPARTAN II armor on Master Chief.
- Prehistoria: Downplayed. The Halo ring the game takes place on has the prehistoric Megacerops among the animals on its surface, but there are still plenty of both modern and alien animals as well.
- Scenery Porn: The E3 2018 teaser was completely done in the Slipspace engine, and the scenery of what is implied to be Installation 07 looks gorgeous.
- Seldom-Seen Species: The E3 2018 teaser featured a species of the genus Megacerops, resembling Brontotherium. Considering the world is a Halo ring, it's unknown if it's a parallel alien species or a population transplanted from (or in the past to) ancient Earth. A species of Irish elk seemed to have been depicted as well.
- Stopped Numbering Sequels: Similar to Halo: Reach, which was previously the only game in the main series to not feature a number. Though it's played straight this time around, since Infinite is a direct continuation from Halo 5's story (the developer explicitly stated it was Halo 6) whereas Reach was a spinoff title and a prequel to CE.
- Wham Shot: The shot of Master Chief inserting an AI into his helmet at the end of the trailer, which has massive implications In-Universe.