- my guests,allow me to be courtious-where this goes, I forget andmay never know,but for our sake-I know that we will never reach the place wherewe've heard all there is to tell of these places-beyond the eyes of madnessand in sleepwhere all others go but me
Ghost Suburb II: From Beyond Sleep Into The Eyes of Madness is a surreal and disorienting RPG created in RPG Maker 2003. It tells the story of Nurse Okay, a nurse working in the sprawling Midland Research Hospital Center. She has not slept in three months. Accompanying her is a floating eye named Gertrud, who claims to not be a floating eye. As the hospital begins to break down both physically and metaphysically, Okay and Gertrud will have to explore it and search for Sleep, the entire time leaving the player unsure of what exactly is going on.
The Operation has begun...
- Big Bad: Gertrud.
- Gameplay and Story Integration: Okay's PDA is the pause menu, but it broke at some point prior to the beginning of the game, so you can't actually view the menu until you buy a new one.
- It's All My Fault: The reason why Okay can't sleep it's because she blames herself for Sleep becoming braindead because of her.
- The Insomniac: Nurse Okay apparently hasn't slept in three months.
- Mind Screw: And nothing but. All of the aspects of the game are put through a disorienting and confusing lens.
- Multiple Endings:
- Ending 1: Okay is killed by the soldiers.
- Ending 2: Okay wakes up in the real world, only to find Gertrud choking her in her sleep. Okay resigns herself to her fate and lets Gertrud kill her.
- Ending 3: Okay wakes up after defeating Insomnia and Narcolepsy, when she shoots Gertrud in the head. She and the rest of the personal are evacuated to a safer zone. The story ends up with Okay saying that many things happened after the evacuation, but even though she seemingly defeated Insomnia and Narcolepsy, she's still insomniac.
- Story Breadcrumbs: The Hours, a series of sequences about How We Got There that Okay collects in the form of notes. Turns out that Okay was in dire need for a job, so she slept with the Doctor to earn a job at his hospital. Gertrud found out and made a deal with Insomnia and Narcolepsy to ruin their lives. In her insane path for revenge, she sabotaged Sleep's operation, transformed the Doctor into a mindless monster and gave Okay narcolepsy in order to make her pay for taking her husband away.
- Surreal Horror
- Through the Eyes of Madness: It's in the title! Potentially subverted, as certain parts of the game imply that Okay's mental state is possibly affecting reality as a whole, and not just for her.
- Vendor Trash: Amanda Panda, Okay's item merchant, starts to look for Mutant Samples on Day 3 and gives Okay fifty for every Mutant Sample she has.
- Your Cheating Heart: The Doctor cheated on his wife Gertrud with Okay, so Gertrud sabotaged Sleep's operation out of spite.
- The Operation was a success...