A free-to-play cover-based 3rd person shooter spin-off to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier with a focus on teamwork.
Players have 3 classes to choose from. Each of them has a choice of 2 class-specific equipment. Players can change classes between matches, but not inside the match itself. :
- Assaults are your bread and butter rifleman. They can deploy the HEAT system (renamed the ADS in Phantoms) to microwave enemies out of their cover or Blitz headfirst into the fray with a shield. Wields an assault rifle or a shotgun. Has the most armor of all classes.
- Specialists (Supports in Phantoms) are geared to support their team. They can Blackout enemy equipment and disorient them for a short period, or they can fire up their AEGIS (renamed the APS in Phantoms) bullet-stopping energy bubble to cover teammates. Wields either an LMG or a shotgun. Balanced speed and armor.
- Recons can choose between the all-seeing Oracle or the good old Cloak system. Wields either a sniper rifle or an SMG. Has the highest speed of all three.
In March 2014, Ubisoft announced a total overhaul of the game into Ghost Recon: Phantoms, featuring a more in-depth backstory to the game, improved graphics, enhancements to game mechanics and many other features. It was released on Steam on April 11 2014.
Ubisoft closed Ghost Recon: Phantoms on December 1, 2016 due to a steadily decreasing player population.
The game provides examples of:
- A.K.A.-47: Some of them.
- Awesome Backpack: In Ghost Recon Online, all devices with the exception of the Assault's Blitz (which is an expandable ballistic shield) come in this form.
- In the Hood: The Recon's outfit.
- Grenade Spam: Can happen but not encouraged since players pay a fee for their use, rather than being an equippable item you can use at will.
- The game's Leftover files and promotional art suggest that an underslung grenade launcher was to be added in at some point.
- Gun Porn
- Gun Accessories: You can change the muzzle, magazine type, scopes and minor accessories like adding a bipod for stable shooting or a laser pointer to help you you tag a location for your teammates. But some parts of the gun like stocks, bipods or barrel types are not player customizable and are presented in the form of another variant of the gun instead. (The latter is changed in Ghost Recon: Phantoms with the arrival of fully-customizable Mod Master weapons)
- Highly Conspicuous Uniform: What a soldier with a full diving mask is doing on top of a skyscraper, or what a sniper in winter camouflage is doing on a sandy construction site is anyone's guess.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Will get you killed. Going alone also means that you will not get any bonuses given by teammates' squad support.
- Right-Handed Left-Handed Guns: How the game allows you to flip the camera between shoulders causes this to happen.