In Gacha Life, you can create and customize your own chibi characters, which you can set them up for a scene in the Studio mode, or take the role of one of them and interact with and befriend the NPCs in the Life mode. As for the "Gacha" part, you can spend Gacha gems on Gachas and earn gifts from them and gift them to the NPCs.
In other words, it's just a fun cutesy game with little meaning than creating chibi characters and having fun with them.
A sequel known as Gacha Club is confirmed to be in the works, and is slated to be released in early 2020.
Gacha Life provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: You can color your character's skin red, blue, whatever!
- Beast Man: Picc and Pawket, two raccoon girls who form a music duo called "Bandits".
- Cat Girl: Rambo Nyan Kitty, a Cloud Cuckoolander one who loves using cat puns.
- Dating Sim: Life mode is essentially a platonic version of this. You can talk with, ask, gift, and answer Pop Quizzes from the NPCs (the preset characters) and increase your friendships with them.
- Digital Avatar: Your character can serve as this for you.
- Fingerless Hands: Every character only has a thumb for each of their hands, making them look like mittens.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: For an E-rated game, 1chi has this line, "Bow-kun no Pea-coatnote is my favorite anime!" Let's hope he's joking.
- There was also this line made by 1chi, "Did you know my birthday is September 11? Ha ha, not like anyone remembers". After many complaints, it was changed to "Did you know my birthday is on 1/11?"
- Little Bit Beastly: Some hair options have cat/pointed canine/bunny/bear ears, and you can add tails to your character.
- Pop Quiz: When you reach the Friendship Level of 5, the NPC can give you a short 10-question quiz over the information you've asked them for. Huge rewards await for those who ace.
- Skirt over Slacks: Skirts are classified as "Belts" and separate from Pants, making this trope possible.
- Super-Deformed: The main art style, along with Animesque.
- Surfer Dude: Brody, a surfer who likes sports, fishing, and music.
- Tamer and Chaster: Previous Gacha games would include fully humanoid anime characters, some serving Fanservice. Gacha Life focuses on chibi characters and more on the cute than sexy.
- Temporal Theme Naming: There are 4 NPCs named after the 4 seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter.
- Trademark Favorite Food: You can set your character's favorite food.
- Bex's favorite food is chicken nuggets, and her minigame has you try to catch all the nuggets without any touching the ground.
- Video Game Perversity Potential: Inevitable for a character design/roleplay game. You can dress up your character in skimpy clothing (and even color their clothes the color of their skin!) and pose them to resemble sexual acts, as well as let them say any phrase at your will. This got so out of hand that Lunime released a patch to remove all of this potential.
- Virtual Paper Doll: The entire point of the game. You can create a character and fine their body, hair, facial features, clothing, and profile, coming up with endless combinations. The fandom regularly circulates character and outfit ideas.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: A character's hair can be any color, even blue.