Fruit Mystery is a strange, purposely poorly-made game where you feed different foods to pictures of animals that are floating around. The protagonist is either very stupid or crazy, and he goes to the zoo to give different foods to the zoo animals, which often ends up in the animals getting sick. This is Played for Laughs, and most of the gameplay is just feeding food to zoo animals and seeing what happens.
After you feed a food item to an animal, a text box pops up to give you super educational information about what happened. For example, the text box says, "a SNOWSTORM of green sprouts, (the helthy fruit), go into the tiger's face RAOAR ROAR he goes and tries to jump out of his cage to thank me. NO PROBLEM ACTUALLY TIGER" after feeding brussel sprouts to a tiger.
You basically do this over and over again until the timer runs out, and then the game royally mind screws you. The screen starts flashing, all of the animals tell you that they hate you, and Zookeeper Steve gets very angry at you for harming the animals and ends up losing his job. Or something like that.
The original game was lost along with the rest of the website it was hosted on, but it is mirrored here: http://taxiderby.tumblr.com/mystery
Fruit Mystery provides examples of:
- Animals Hate Him: All of the animals tell you they hate you at the end.
- Black Comedy: A lot of humor comes from the protagonist being told of the lethal consequences of feeding animals the wrong food and apparently being too stupid to learn his lesson.
- Deranged Animation: The fruits are drawn very poorly in MS Paint, pictures of animals float across the screen, it's just weird.
- Failure Is the Only Option: The only actions available to you result in disaster, even if you do nothing.
- Foreshadowing: "your a idoit" is written under the timer.
- Game-Breaking Bug: According to the page that mirrored the game: "the message part at the end DOESN'T WORK because brett and his computer is LOST IN THE ANDES"
- Hilarity in Zoos: Pretty much the whole plot of the game.
- Large Ham: The narrator. He likes to RANDOMLY GO into ALL CAPS MODE.
- Mind Screw: The game ends with Zookeeper Steve and the animals mad at the player for the damage they've caused, but the only consequences the player suffers is that they have to send an apology message to Steve.
- My God, What Have I Done?: SORRY ZOOKEEPER STEVE!
- No Punctuation Is Funnier: The game uses poor grammar and punctuation for humor.
- Obliviously Evil: The main character (or maybe it's the narrator?) seems to be this, innocently feeding foods to zoo animals that may be fatal to them.
- Shoot the Dog: The dog dies at the end from the food that you gave it. Played for Laughs, of course.
- Troll: Brett T Graham is one, apparently. A look at his resume on his website shows that he is actually a very competent bartender and caterer.
- Unreliable Narrator: The person who tells you what to do or what is happening is completely insane.
- Villain Protagonist: Probably one of the most strange and funny examples of this trope out there. The protagonist is of the Obliviously Evil variety.