Freddy in Space 2 is a Spinoff of the massively popular Five Nights at Freddy's series. It was developed by Scott Cawthon with character sprites made by Claudia Schröder, and released for free December 3, 2019 on Game Jolt. The game was created for Game Theory's 9-hour St. Jude Children's Research Hospital fundraiser.
The game is also a sequel to the minigame FNaF 57: Freddy in Space from Five Nights at Freddy's World.
Tropes applied to this game:
- Art Shift: This is the first game in the franchise with no 3D assets. Instead, the assets are 2D.
- Chica's redesign and characterization in this game — with her blue, form-fitting Latex Space Suit and her ponytail — appears to be intentionally modeled after Samus Aran, specifically her Zero Suit form.
- Bonnie's outfit sports some very Dragon Ball Z inspired shoulder pads.
- While Foxy's legs have next to no covering in regular canon, the way they're rendered for this game brings classic Star Fox designs to mind.
- Genre Shift: Instead of being a strategy/horror game, Freddy in Space 2 is a side-scrolling Shoot 'em Up Metroidvania game.
- Multiple Endings: Beating the game within 30 minutes results in a different ending.
- Non-Standard Character Design: The Fazbear gang (Freddy, Bonnie, Chica, Foxy and the Puppet) are all redesigned into anthropomophic animals, but Golden Freddy is still an animatronic.
- Shout-Out: The secret bosses reference Youtubers famous for playing FNaF, as well as an extra boss referencing FNaF World:
- Poopet Master references Dawko, as well as his early years of playing FNaF, when he pronounced the Puppet's name as "Poopet".
- The Mad Theorists reference MatPat and Stephanie of Game Theory fame.
- Mechiplier is Markiplier mixed with Terminator.
- Animdude: The Revenge references the final boss of FNaF World, and his boss music, "The Colder Stone", is a remix of "Stone Cold", the final boss music from FNaF World.