Out of the completed versions, v1.7a contains more overall changes while the latest, v2, returns to being more like the original game while keeping many of the remaining changes.
The official release will never happen. Dark Design attempted to sell their game and began charging for pre-orders, claiming they had Approval of God. They didn't, and the the entire project has been shut down at Square Enix's request, and the development files destroyed by Kisareth Studios (the company that acquired Dark Design). A video going into more detail about the situation made by Kisareth employee's can be found here.
This game contains examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: Both versions make a few storyline changes such as Phoebe re-joining the party in Fireburg, having a full party of four for the final dungeon and fleshing the characters out a bit more.
- v1.7a also gave the user full control on where to go in the world map as well as adding smaller areas to explore that often simply contained treasures and/or cameos from other Final Fantasy titles.
- Anti-Grinding: Once an enemy is killed inside of any dungeon except for the final one, it is Killed Off for Real and will never re-spawn in v2.
- Bonus Boss: Battlefield bosses in v1.7a can be considered as such while Hades and Light Ozma and Dark Ozma are pure examples. In v2 Hades returns and Yu Yevon is added to the roster.
- Contractual Boss Immunity: Played straight and averted depending on the boss. Some of them require disabling them with status ailments in order to survive long enough to win!
- Dual Boss: Light Ozma and Dark Ozma in v1.7a.
- Duel Boss: Odin is designed to be one when obtaining the Venus Shield as he's the only one that Benjamin could potentially fight alone.
- Dual Wielding: Reuben can now do so in both versions.
- Eleventh Hour Super Power: Benjamin gains a brand new ability literally in the room before the final boss.
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The majority of the achievements unlocked in v2 are related to killing all of the monsters and looting all of the treasure in each dungeon.
- Guest-Star Party Member: Captain Mac in both versions.
- Infinity +1 Sword: Obtained from the bonus bosses in v1.7a, obtained from behind the Celestial Doors in v2.
- Let's Play: Before the project died, Gunarm Dyne was the first to do v1.7a and Dark Design also asked him to do v2, which he did. Even though the project is dead, the videos are still available to watch on his channel.
- Magic Knight: Benjamin is still one, though he no longer learns/obtains every spell in the game.
- Nintendo Hard: Both versions are much harder than the original, especially v2.
- However, the game is generous with gil in order to purchase healing items. You will need them!
- Pre Existing Encounters: In both versions.
- Random Encounters: Played straight in v1.7a while v2 returns to Pre Existing Encounters only.
- Running Gag: Phoebe zapping Reuben with lightning whenever he flirts with her in v2.
- Shipper on Deck: In v2, Reuben and Phoebe get together at the end of the game.
- Tsundere: Phoebe is a Type A towards Reuben in v2, and gets a bit angry when Benjamin catches her crying in both versions.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: One of the new bosses, Cerberus, definitely fits this. If you don't hit him with Reuben's status attacks, you will die.